Unfortunately he was technically a premie by 2 days even though he was 6lb 13oz and 19in long. And then he had fluid on his lungs and he was first on oxygen and then that forced air thing in the NICU. It's been pretty hard on the parents.
But don't worry, he got off oxygen Friday and they will probably be able to take him home Monday!So what does a Melanie do when her good friend has a baby and remembers she has some smothering tendencies so tries to tone it down? Brings TONS of books to the hospital from her library so they can pick a couple. Yes, this is a picture AFTER they had made selections (I even had a book I thought her Mom would enjoy).
Dan's family lives in Vegas so I knew there wasn't alot I needed to do to help but I wanted to do something without smothering. So I didn't take these books with me.
You feel somewhat helpless when u know ur friend is having a really hard time but there is nothing you can do about it to make it better. So I did what I would like someone to do, bring books and lots of treats left over from the Cherry Chub reunion and some dried fruit and nuts from Smiths. Then text every day and when she doesn't respond for a couple of days get really worried so text her husband on the pretext of seeing if she forgot her phone. (See previous note about trying not to smother)
But her Mom and sister got here last night and after spending the evening with them I feel much less worried. Of course, the fact that the baby is doing much better helps as well!
Good luck Melissa (and Dan)! I will miss our daily work emails :-)
P.S. Oh ya, u might want to know his name. Mitchel William Bunn (I decided to call him Willy hoping to kinda annoy them... but no dice since they are still calling him Baby Squishy at home. Last night his cousin Chase (3 yrs) kept looking around the house asking "Where is Baby Squishy?" They had to remind him that Baby Squishy is still sick in the hospital)
8 comments:
Thank you for posting some pictures. I guess I am not cool enough because I did not make it on the e-mail list. You are a great friend and thanks for the update
Thanks for the post melanie. I've been checking Melissa's blog to see if there were any updates. Glad Squishy is doing better!
You are so sweet! I would love the book/treat treatment and I am sure she appreciates your attention.
What a good idea-to take books! I'll remember that for the future. That was nice of you to think of helping them in a non-smothering way:)
You would be a very good friend to have around. I like your kind of smothering. Gage was 6lb 13oz too! But he was 21 inches. So good to hear the little guy is doing better, that would be so scary to go through.
Hey, you are so nice and considerate and I am glad you got to hat least hang out with her family. I can't even quite imagine how heart-wrenching that would be, to have your newborn in the NICU and I am so glad he is doing better. Thank you so much for being there for Melissa.
"good friend has a baby and remembers she has some smothering tendencies"---- I'm glad you held back. It's not good to smother babies!
Thank you for the update. I'm glad to know how he's doing,without having to bother the new parents.
I understand the helpless feeling. At least you live close enough to perform your acts of kindness, even as it rides the line of smothering. Just Teasing. I sure would feel like a best friend if you came over with a load of suggested books to read. :D
Post a Comment