You recall the much time and energy I spent creating pioneer outfits for myself and others in July? Well, you may think this would translate easily into a Halloween costume and truck-or-treat idea.
Man, that was sooo July. October its all about HOGWARTS.

Unfortunately that picture and the following,

were the only pictures I got at the trunk-or-treat. Yes, I forgot my camera. Yes, I parked in a poor spot for pictures. In my defense, last year I was all washed out so I was trying to get away from the big lights.
I think the big lights would have helped this year. I thought later I should have brought my oil lamp. Duh.
Other people took my picture (some on the sly) and a few said they would send them to me but I've heard that before (from me).
But never fear! My good friend Pat come over afterwards so she could take pictures of it all set up in my garage. Its what good friends do.

When they saw me, most people said "Harry Potter!" To which I replied "Do I look like a boy?"

Here's the outfit. I remembered the next day that I was going to do my hair in braids... For some reason the hair always gets forgotten in my costumes (unless I'm wearing a turban).

Can you tell which house I'm in? After "Harry Potter!" it was "Hermione?"

"BLUE TIE! What's my middle name?"

"Are you a teacher?" "I'm Penelope Clearwater from Ravenclaw... " (the four house colors and crest)

"And I'm making polyjuice potion in my NEWT level class."

(It was the only recipe I could find on line. Wanted to do Veritaserum cuz its clear but couldn't find a recipe.... not that it really mattered... )

Of course I had my book bag filled with books and parchment... and a water bottle. Wizards need to stay hydrated as well.

Here Pat is Vanna-ing the sorting hat.

I just took my witches hat and made a brown fabric cover for it. Elizabeth's older children tried it on and when I asked them if they were brave, smart, cute, or sneaky, they both replied "SNEAKY!" Slytherin it was.
I forgot to put a few things out for the photo shoot outside so I set it back up inside again.

I had already done a trial run the Saturday before. With all the ideas I had running around in my head (a chess set, random things in bottles, rolls of parchment and books) I'm glad I did. I had plenty to fill up my table and didn't need anything more.

Labels such as salamander blood, doxie eggs, eye of newt, and powdered bicorn.

And my pot, bubbling with dry ice.

A set of brass scales (which Emily told me looked like drug paraphernalia)

My escaping frog (I'm an older student so frogs were still in vogue).

I put some threads in this jar (essence of murtlap) so it would look nasty but you couldn't tell in the dark of the parking lot.

My father made this beautiful wand for me... which I didn't have time to paint but I think it has its own character. Ash, 9 3/4", Unicorn Hair.

All in all, I think it was a success. I might or might not still have it all set up in my living room.

I think I managed to keep up the standard I set last year. BTW, anybody need a nice white men's shirt (medium) and/or charcoal sweater?
PS. Here are some close ups on my color bands in the sweater. It took a long time to sew on so you need to appreciate it. The scarf I spent 3 weeks knitting wrong will get it's own post.

I wore my costume to work on Halloween (minus the cloak) and it wasn't until 2pm that one of the engineers stopped on his way past my cubicle and said "Wait... its that kids movie! I've been trying to figure it out since this morning when I heard you say you were in costume".
This is why I've never done halloween for work before (witches hat and my "Italian Goddess" t-shirt doesn't count).

Perhaps if I had been wearing the cloak and brandishing the wand..
11 comments:
Pretty darn cute! You sure took my idea of costumes that suggest a character up many notches to accurate portrayal. Where did you get it?
I think you are going to really enjoy your skirt and that makes it all really worth it. (You look good in it.)
your costumes are impressive, mostly for all the cool details. Maybe I should come down for halloween one year and we could put our matching cars side by side? I can tell you are having fun, thats all that matters. Whats for next year? Did you get a "best trunk" award? The scales do look like fancy drug paraphenelia, and all the viles don't help :) Did you make the kids do tricks to get their treats?
Wow. Totally impressed. Love how you are going all out! So fun! I am sure everybody LOVED it! I do!
Awesome! Love the creative ideas. Clearly your coworker doesn't read!
Ha ha ha! This is the most hilarious post I've seen in a long time (and I read waay too many blogs).
First of all: You have brass scales? That's awesome!
I love that your engineering coworkers didn't know you'd dressed up. But to be fair, without the cloak, it's an outfit that engineers would usually wear. Hmm... I wonder if that means you'd all be in Ravenclaw.
Penelope Clearwater? That would have been my first guess. It's pretty obvious. :)
And I'm sorry I think this is funny, but it made me laugh that you'd chosen parking precisely for the purpose of getting a good picture and then... well, not brought your camera. That sounds like something I would do.
I need to do more planning ahead for Halloween. I was lame and didn't even dress up.
Well, I'm super impressed - not surprised though! You are amazing! Wish I could have had you around when I was trying to throw together a costume.
I loved your outfit! You are so awesome!
Emily, it is very lame that we didn't have awards, but I think I better make one up and present it to Melanie, don't you?
I was super impressed and very glad to be of service in the photographer department.
Melanie, you are the best halloweener! You should come to our place next year and be appreciated here. We have a big trunk or treat and the whole community comes. We were pretty lame this year but still impressed folks because we actually do something. It was pretty funny to be in my best 70's outfit and have Bailey's friends ask, "did you wear this when you were in high school?" Seriously, come to Melba next year...and bring Emily.
Your posts need a like button so you know i liked 'em but dont have to go through this long process to comment (also the word verification is flaky....i think its trying to say something)
you are nuts. i love you!
Post a Comment