Monday, December 7, 2015

Thanksgiving

Our Thanksgiving always involves fire... doesn't yours?
Emily did a pit turkey again...
When she went out to put the turkey in that afternoon, somehow more wood got on the fire again and we had to let it die down again :)  Emily likes fire.

The coals got so hot Emily's face turned red and stayed that way for a while. The ducks thought the fresh dug dirt was awesome... we thought maybe they were looking for roasted worms.
The goats got a thanksgiving as well!  All the peels and trims
Yum yum yum!
I took two video's...

Don't worry I will spare you from having to watch the second one :)

I will tell you about poor tulips harness/bra later.

Nathan and Annaliese came over to visit with us for a little bit while we were cooking but I didn't take a picture of that :(

I was in charge of the oven turkey... but might have misjudged the size of the opening to add veggies too... It was weird to cook 2 small turkeys instead of one great big one.

We ate thanksgiving that afternoon.
Aaron, Adam, Megan (niece and husband), Emily and I.
The gravy was salty (we brined both the oven and the pit turkey) and the stuffing dry... but Aaron's mashed potatoes, jello and grilled pinapple and Emily's pies and yams and apples were great :)

The one thing I made that did turn out pretty good was the pumpkin swirl cheesecake.  The secret is using a bit of store bought cream cheese instead of all goat products. It needs a hint of that comfort taste we all know and love.

That evening Emily opened up the pit turkey.

Ta da!
The fire was so hot it browned/burned the top of the turkey!
Now that's hot.  Snow didn't stick to the dirt in that area for days.

But the meat was great on both turkeys and even after Megan and Adam took some home we had a bunch of leftovers.  We had the semi traditional turkey soup with homemade noodles on mashed potatoes on Sunday and then Amy used the rest in tasty weekday meals.

Hope everyone else had as good a thanksgiving as we did :)

To end I will post one picture of the Activity Days activity I was in charge of the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Most of the mess had already been cleaned up :)
Sister Weis bought apple pie filling on sale so I was to teach them how to make and roll out the top and bottom pie crusts.  Of the 2 batches of dough I had made the night before, the first one crumbled as the girls tried to roll it out.  I didn't have enough of the better dough to replace the crumbles so we did our best smooshing it into the pie plates (which I didn't realize I was also in charge of so Sis. Weis had to run home and get some) with the nicer crust on the top.  I haven't dared ask how they ever cut through those pies once they were baked!

4 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

Those two small turkeys sure gave lots of meat! Jared, I am sure, was sad that he didn't get to play with fire on Thanksgiving.

Bethanie said...

Fire is awesome and I'm sure the apple pies were great. How can apples, sugar with some cinn be bad? Yum. You can never have enough pie in your life. The cheesecake sounds wonderful.

Helm Headquarters said...

Loved the post, especially the pictures.

Helm Headquarters said...

Loved the post, especially the pictures.