Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Back to Wenatchee

Since I probably won't be coming back to Seattle any time soon (famous last words), I thought I would go and see my friend Mauvia and family again. Plus, I had so much fun last time that I wanted to play with them again!

So off I went. I tried to take a picture of the same bridge as last time to show the difference, but there wasn't a good place to stop cuz of too much SNOW.
It took me a little longer to get out there cuz first I had to work in the morning and then there was snow over the pass even though the roads were just wet.

Hello Tate!
He wasn't too impressed with my star wars legos playing abilities. I always died trying to call for back up.

Ben made us wonderful turkey burgers and Mauvia fried zucchini. (Yes, this is the only picture I got of Ben. Fail)
Never had fried zucchini before. It was good!

Mauvia and I stayed up way too late watching North and South. I love Mr. Thorton. I don't think Mauvia was as impressed cuz she kept falling asleep :-) She said she's gonna read the book. I think I'm gonna too.

It was beautiful in Wenatchee. Sunny.
Yes, I took a picture of her bathroom.
I remember this theme from when I visited her many years ago when I graduated.
I thought it was cute!

At church we listened closely to the talks while playing with stickers.
Do you see the stickers on the nose? Tate put them there.
When we got back from church (where I got 2 go 2 Primary cuz Mauvia is the Pres and was welcomed with the "Hello!" song twice!), I looked at the traffic cams over Stephens Pass. Uh oh. Snowing lots. I better get going! I looked at I-90 but it was farther away and it looked like it was worse. Washington have traffic cameras all over the state... its way cool!

So, instead of staying to listen to Zoe's recital I said goodbye,

To Ben, Mauvia and Greyson (more picture fail... u'll have to see if Mauvia has better on her blog)
Zoe,
Tate
And started my journey.

It started snowing as soon as I got into the canyon. And got worse and worse.
Have you ever driven on something like this in a little Chevy Aveo? That thing was so squirly, slipping around on the road. I shore missed my Subaru! This is where it opened up into two lanes and I could move over to the slow lane.

I didn't want to stop cuz I was afraid I would never get going again.
Some white knuckle driving (Don't tell Dad I took pictures while I was driving!). I learned pretty quick how to use the engine to help slow me down as I headed down the hill.

It was so nice to get down over the pass and back to rain. Rain on snow... so weird.
Once I got down over the pass the traffic became stop and go. It took me just over 4 hours to get back.

Now it doesn't seem quite so bad even though I know it was. I was wishing I hadn't left so early even though I know I made the best decision. The next day they closed I-90 and made chains mandatory across the pass.

Its raining in Seattle again.
But its OK cuz I got to see Mauvia and family :-). Thanks again for a fun weekend!

7 comments:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Glad you made it home safe. I thought I was the only one who takes pictures whilst driving.

Two more weeks? Right.

helmhq said...

Maybe I won't get dad to look at this post!!

Great that you got to spend time with Mauvia and family. We missed being called to know that you were safely home. I think I may have felt some of your concern, because I worried until we heard from you.

txparkinsons said...

mauvia's family would fit right in!

you're brave!

Sarah Jarvis said...

Yikes. Glad you are alive. That sounds like no fun at all. The driving, I mean. Visiting friends is always super fun! Glad you got to go.

Sorensen said...

We are so glad you came! And that you didn't crash on the way home. We were all sad to see you go. Mr. Thornton is growing on me it is the lady I am not sure about. And hey I am an old lady we need our sleep!

Emily Nice said...

that kind of driving is no fun. glad you made it safely home :)

Eliza said...

You're brave! I'm glad that you're safe and that you had fun.