Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Christmas Loot

First, I thought I'd share these pictures of Emily trying out her hand as bartender. 
Isn't it funny that Mom has these glasses up in her cupboard? Gage liked the sugar around the outside.
He wouldn't look up cuz he was busy drinking.
Amy felt much better once we told her the glasses were plastic. 
Aaron, like me, just wanted the lemonade.  Mmm!

I got quite the haul this year with a new phone I'm still trying to figure out, a dutch oven of which I am afraid of after I burned my hashbrowns in NM while using Moms, a new little iron skillet which I am also afraid of after burning my hashbrowns here in NV, and a beautiful picture painted by my sister Bethanie.
(caveat, framed by me with a little help from duct tape and string.  I've never been too fussy about where/how I hang things on my walls but eventually I do plan on getting it professionally framed.  I just wanted it up sooner rather than later).
I've been asking her for a painting for sometime, but she's been busy moving, playing it the orchestra, and taking care of kids.   I was so surprised and happy to get it!  She told me now I can take down the drawings she sent to me while I was on my mission but there's plenty of room for all :-)
When Bethy is famous I'll have one of her original "early" pieces, made especially for me.

I also received a beautiful new bag from Birgit which I scotchgarded to within an inch of it's life so hopefully I can keep it nicer than the last one.
(Birgit's MIL saw me with the old one at a stake activity and told Birgit that maybe I needed a new one since it was looking pretty ratty.)
I think she left a pin in it on purpose :-) 
I found the pin when I pulled the lining out to scotchguard the whole thing.  Truth be told, I think it might still be there since I never actually remember taking it out.

Melissa also made me a beautiful clutch to put in it (which I also scotchguarded. I think the bottle is about gone... those poor bag smelled like acetone (or acetate?) for the rest of the day). 
I shore dew like yellow!  Although Birgit used darker colors since I was so hard on the last one.  I thought I had blogged about getting the old bag/purse with a picture and was going to link to it but apparently not.  I'm not about to take a picture now, although I did give it a good washing so I can try it out as my new scripture bag.

I like to surround myself with talented people so they can make things for me inspire me.  I might have some cool new ideas for the family reunion this year!

PS.Thanks to everyone that sent me a Christmas card.  I'm always surprised to get them as I myself do not send one out, but I shore do enjoy them.  (As Emily and I discussed, it seems rather pointless to send a picture of myself and a list of the things I've already written about on my blog.)

11 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I'm with you on Christmas cards. I love getting them-but I don't wanna send out a sad little picture of just me:)

Sorensen said...

What a great haul! How is work going?

txparkinsons said...

scotch gard? i think we need to talk...

helmhq said...

I guess I didn't get the message to you clear enough that both of the pans transfer heat really well and you can cook on a lower temperature.
I think you will love them after you get used to them.

Love that you got your picture hung. Looks really good!

Jamie Pearson said...

you should send out valentines day cards instead. That would be funny and it would have to have a picture for yourself on it.

Montana at the Helm said...

Wow!You do have talented friends. Awesome gifts! But you are very talented yourself and we have enjoyed many of your crafts.

Emily Nice said...

Jaime's comment is making me laugh! We could send out spinster cards for valentines! Wow. oh anyways back to your post. drinks taste better in fun cups... fyi. You can make me things anytime you want. I'm using your scarg today and its nice and toasty. I cooked apple crisp in my new skillet and now I have to reseason because the acid ate at it... gross.

Eliza said...

I think you should send Halloween cards, because you always have a great picture then! You'd be totally original and way a head of all those Christmas cards!

Neita and Nate said...

Like Jenny suggested we may need to talk...or initiate an intervention. Tell me the truth, is this discussion about "guarding" your new bag really a cry for help regarding your huffing addiction? If so, my advice...stick with your craft (I mean rubber cement) projects ;)

Jen and Ricky said...

Melanie!!!!! I found you!! Ricky told me he found you on facebook. so I went there and found your blog. I love it!! :) How are you?! I lost your phone info. when I changed phones a loooonnng time ago. I love that you still have a picture of us all as roommates on your wall. :) Anyways, we live in vegas now. Lets re-connect! My phone number is 702-370-3609. and my email is berby_chinagirl@yahoo.com. Hope to talk to you soon.

Love,
Jen
jenandrickycole.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Melanie I love how you posted the talents of your friends and family. I agree that you are just as talented too and that Halloween cards would be awesome. I'm so so so sorry about that pin being left in there.

Missing you.