This last weekend I ran the same half Marathon I did two years ago. I pretty much had the same experience as last time, except for the following three things:
1. I told Emily about it but she couldn't come down because of prior commitments.
2. It got pretty hot, which apparently really does me in.
3. And this time I took a picture.
You get bussed to the starting line where they have a tarp you can put your stuff on for when you get back but no one watches it... so I left most of my stuff (ie my electronics) in the car. This picture was taken after I had recovered somewhat, ate some food, talked to a Ford mechanical engineer from Michigan whose brother convinced him to run the race while visting Las Vegas instead of gambling the whole time, ate some more free food, started getting on the bus, went back to get my bag off the tarp, got on the bus, went back to get the stuff Id left at the table, and finally got bussed back to my car.
I was a little disappointed that I got the same time as last time but Melissa pointed out that I hadn't been training specifically for this long distance so it was actually a pretty good showing... Jared also said it was nice to be consistant without too much effort :) I actually ran almost the whole time this time (going back up the hill doesn't count) and the following picture proves it.
Apparently when I get tired I kick my other foot as I run which results in bloods soaking into my sock on one side and a raw red place on the other.
You can see the offending bloods on the other shoe. I didn't realize it was so bad until I got home and started taking off my shoes and socks. I think I need to work on my form :)
Oh yes, and thanks to Melissa for having me over to play in her pool all afternoon (I was tired so mostly I watched Mitchell jump in and out, in and out, in and out) and then feeding me delicious pizza and breadsticks. I didn't really realize how long I had been there until I called Emily on my way back home that evening. She was surprised at how long they let me stay but thats the mark of a good friend... doesn't tell you that you've overstayed your welcome.
That night I was in bed by 9:30pm not having accomplished all I had planned for a Saturday. But I've got another medal. Thats why I do the long distances, just finishing gets you a medal. The reaction of the Relief Society ladies when I tell them of my exploits as a "good news minute" helps too :)
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Hip Hip Hooray for you!!!!
***jumping and clapping*****
Once again I am super dee duper impressed with you and your running skills.
Come by, I will give you a medal!
Sweet! Nice work! I used to do the ankle hitting thing as well. But, now that you mentioned it, I don't do it anymore. Ha! And I am jealous of the pool-hanging-out but you deserved it!!!
I'm glad you made the good news minute!
Always have been proud of you, but this is a reminder of how awesome you are! Would love to have been there to cheer you on.
Why are you beating yourself up? Just kidding. Congrats on another amazing accomplishment!
Awesome battle wounds! Way to get another medal. You're the best!
Nice running and racing! I have to admit, I'm kinda jealous. Haven't run in a really long time. I do the ankle hitting thing too! Always nice to have a little blood to show for all that effort. Wish I could have been there to see you run and cheer you on! Miss you!
you're either really nuts or really cool. i'll get back with you later .. !!
and they have really BIG medals in texas.
loves!
Weird, this post didn't show up until today so I'm the last to comment. Blood after a run is pretty cool- That means you went past the pain. As we learned from dad, the job isn't done until someone is bleeding! you should put a picture of your medal.
Post a Comment