I got home a little later Wednesday night (April 13th) and when Emily came in after taking care of the animals she said Tulip was in labor... she said they would probably be twin bucklings. Apparenlty bucks are born earlier than does.
After pacing for a bit, Emily set the timer for 25 minutes before going out to check on Tulip. Since I hadn't been out yet, I got dressed in my overalls and boots and went out.
Tulip was very uncomfortable wandering in the shed. (These first few pictures are without a flash cuz I didn't think about it till Emily used her flash :)
After a bit, she had a contraction and her water broke. Poor girl! I went back in to tell Emily what had happened and she said "She's going to have them!" and ran around getting towels and water and such things. She mentioned the twin bucklings again and I said "maybe she's early cuz she's having triplets!". I didn't believe it but wanted Ems to feel better :).
Spots guarded the door...

While waiting I went in and out getting raisins and recovery drink since I didn't mind missing the birth :). After Jared, Amy and Gage got home (and turned off the beeping oven timer), Gage waited with Emily. I came back out just as Tulip had her first little kid.

It was a doe (Snowdrop)! Emily swung her cuz she was having a little trouble breathing but then she was coughing so we knew she was good.

Emily rubbed her down good using almost all the towels :)
Here she is nursing, I love the little tail wagging... see the flash from Emily's camera?
I went in and got more towels. Maybe next time we can use paper towels?
Snowdrop looks huge here but its just the angle.

Tulip eventually had contractions again and after pushing out the buckling she kept pushing and out came the littlest doeling right after, both born in their sacks. We got them uncovered of goop and used all the rest of the towels to try and dry them off...
I took a couple of more pictures but they are all blurry (and a little gross)... this is the best one which I posted on facebook.

We kept brushing Tulip to calm her and rubbed her chin alot during the birth cuz last time she cried and strained so hard she burst blood vessels. The blood pooled under her chin which made it look like worm bloom which was a bit scary. This time she just had a little bump under her chin. I hope that means this was an easier birth.
The next morning I told Emily and Amy to send me pictures since I couldn't be there! Ems posted a bunch on the internet but here are some more...

Bud (the buckling)

The doelings Apricot and Snowdrop.

All three protected by their mother

They are almost a week old as of today and are very active in the morning.. .this morning I went out and took a couple videos.
Poor things had their horns burned yesterday (Tuesday) but are jumping around today so I guess they kinda recovered.
Snowdrop is queen of the mountain!

Spots wanted to get in on the action so I tried to take a pregnancy glamour shot... I think Emily will have to do it thought cuz she does a better job :)

I bet Emily had cookies when she did Tulip :).

1 comment:
They are sooooo cute, and so springy. Wish we could see them in person. Thanks for letting us get a little bit of how much fun little baby goats can be.
Post a Comment