Friday, August 13, 2010

The Great Swimming Attempt

I have been irationally worried about getting in the pool again. It had to do with circles.

I didn't want to end up swimming in them.

I finally got up the courage to go to the pool Saturday after Melissa bailed on riding our bikes early in the morning.

I can only get up early to excersize for the following 3 reasons:
1. I'm racing
2. I can tell someone I did it right afterwards and they will be impressed.
3. I am accountable to someone else who is also getting up early.

So after sleeping in and an RS activity, it was too hot to go biking and I was tired of running all weekend. So I decided to jump in... so to speak.

It actually wasn't too bad. I didn't swim in circles although my arm was sad after just a few laps. Every time I turned and pushed against the wall my swimsuit struggled to catch back up with my body and sometimes one of the straps lost the battle, but I'm pretty sure nobody saw anything.

I might have discovered I need a new swimsuit.

But the real fun part was trying to get out. I've always prided myself on being able to hoist myself out of the pool without the use of a ladder. Ladders are for wusses.

Unfortunately, hoisting yourself out of the pool requires the use of an elbow and the pushing of both arms. My poor skin. It sure didn't like the feeling of being smooshed between the plate and the top of the deck. And my wimpy arm wasn't much help in the hoisting department.

The worse part was as I struggled for purchase on the deck, a friendly LARGE lady and family (who were hoping I was leaving and they could use my lane) offered to help. Help from large ladies is for wusses! I struggled some more, finally getting up by scraping both elbows and a knee. I showed the lady my scar.

"I had surgery!"

"You shore did." She had already lost interest and was eyeing my lane.

I grabbed my stuff and left. What a wuss.

Photographic evidence (to show Melissa I was using her birthday present of a towel dress over my swimsuit):

10 comments:

Barbaloot said...

Gosh-I can't swim and I haven't had surgery. I think you're amazing.

And I can't get up early to work out either. As nice as it would be to have it over with, I'm just much better at doing it in the afternoon.

Shawna said...

Awesome towel dress!

I know you're not a wuss but sometimes help from a stranger helps them more than you...

Where the pictures of the knee and elbow scraps?

Sarah Jarvis said...

Yay! I am so glad you made it to the pool. But I am confused about the circle swimming. IS not that what we are supposed to do??? Swim in circles? Or did you swim in a lake? :-)
I am sorry about the getting-out-of-the-pool-part. I think the ladder is for wusses, VERY pregnant ladies, and elbow patients!
You can always get up early, exercise, and then call me or email me and brag about it. I would love to hear it!

Jamie Pearson said...

Yeah you went swimming! I haven't swam since I had Kade, I guess I should get back into it. I have always felt the same way about ladders until I was pregnant and huge and then I could no longer jump into the pool or get out easily. I hope your arm gets stronger, well I'm sure it will

txparkinsons said...

...lovely ... yea, i know about not using ladders .. and then you almost don't make it ... but the kids are watching ...

:)

Emily Nice said...

glad you didn't leave the swimsuit totally behind, or show your behind. thought that was clever, the play on words you know. maybe i'm still sleep deprived? Anyways cute post and soon you'll be back to hoisting yourself back up in no time. Start with the shallower end and push off and turn around so you can land on your bum in a sit then you can get up from there.

Montana at the Helm said...

I am so happy to hear no one saw your swimsuit trying to catch back up to your body! Way to go Melanie for trying to swimming again.

Thanks for the laugh.

Eliza said...

Too bad you couldn't wear that cute swimsuit towel dress in the pool. It is an adorable cover-up. Did your friend make it? I love it! Is it really a towel?

Way to jump back in to the swim of things! (Am I clever like Emily or what?)

helmhq said...

That is a great cover-up. I think I need one--of course I would have to start swimming so I could wear it.

I'm glad you are getting back to all the normal things. I'm sure you will be skipping the ladder in no time.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely dress. I love it! I want one too. My mom always got on my case for saying the same thing after seeing what my sisters would get for their birthday gifts. I just love what other people have, is that so bad a crime?