Thursday, September 2, 2010

Another Favorite Look

I just discovered a new one.

In the new "Emma" done by Masterpiece Theatre, when Mr. Nightly asks Emma to dance and then how he looks at her as they dance. (only picture on the Internet I could find of them together at the ball) Oh... so nice. (I admit that I don't think this is a better version than any of the other ones, but it does have some nice funny parts.)

Course, "North and South" is still my absolute favorite. Mr. Thornton standing on the balcony and watching Margaret drive away from Milton with the snow swirling around him.

"Look back at me... Look back at me".

There is always the BBC "Pride and Prejudice" look that everyone talks about but... well... sometimes that gets old.

Better is Mr Thornton, "I want to marry you because I love you, not because I wish to posses you!".
"North and South" ROCKS. (yes, I know that picture doesn't fit. There aren't many on the internet to pick from, OK?)

There is also "Guys and Dolls" when Sky Masterson tries the door after Sergent Sarah Brown has locked it to keep him out ("A daytime doll!"), puts his hand in a fist... and walks away.
That look. Man.

My VHS tapes might be queued up to the part I want to watch again... and again.

"Guys and Dolls" where Sky sings "Luck be a Lady".

I used to be in love with Sky Masterson, before I met Mr. Thorton. One of my college roommates friend's first name was Sky and I just might have accidentally called him Sky Masterson the first time I met him.

The funny thing is, I didn't notice 'till my other roommate told me after he left. Oops. Oh well, he probably didn't notice either.

"Hello Dolly" where Dolly sings "Goodbye" to Horace. "On those cold winter nights Horace. You can snuggle up to your cash register. It's a little lumpy but it WWRRINGS!" So funny. Bethanie and I once watched it... well, lets just say more than once. (I'm tired of looking up pictures)

"Summer Stock" where Gene Kelly dances with/on the newspaper.

Dad hates that movie. Maybe because there is no plot and pretty poor acting.

OK, I won't go through all my favorite parts in all my favorite period dramas.... and other type of movies. Its late, I'm going to get up early to go swimming, I still have some more packing to finish up before heading to Orem for the 3 day weekend (YA!), and apparently this post has no point so I'll end it now.

11 comments:

Emily Nice said...

your so funny. Just watched north and south. Love it all except the kissing scene. Like that would've happened- Not!

have you read/seen that writer's other works?

Barbaloot said...

Loved it all! Post lots more stuff like this:)

I absolutely LOVE that version of Emma. And that's saying a lot cuz I HATE that story. Hate it. I think Masterpiece did such a wonderful job. I wish they'd re-do P&P again. If they made a story I hate into a movie I love, imagine what they could do with a story I already love?!

And I love Hello, Dolly. I know just which part you're talking about. My cousins and I have watched that countless times!

Sorensen said...

Hillarious! And so you! Makes me miss you and all your youness. I haven't seen North and South yet but I am going to have to now. Have you read the Hunger games?

Unknown said...

I think my movies to watch list just got longer

Chelsea said...

Oh, I've never seen North and South, and it sounds like that needs to be remedied. When I first got home in May, my parents made me watch the new Emma, and I LOVE it! I like that they had enough time to go into detail. And is the guy (Mr. Knightly) the same guy as from Northanger Abbey? Maybe....

Angela said...

I am so glad that we agree on all this stuff. My roommate and I do the exact same thing to all those movies! I am so excited to see you tomorrow!!!

Chelsea said...

Oh, and I meant Mansfield Park. I remember watching most of these with you in Wellington. Yay for movies!!!

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
helmhq said...

Fun post. I agree it's very Melanie!!
Since I like most of those parts--except only the dancing in Summer Stock, could we be related?

Eliza said...

Those are great looks! So dreamy.

txparkinsons said...

summer stock where she yells at her boyfriend -- "we're doing it again!"

..."my heart has, and always will be, yours"...

.."you must know, it was all for you ..."

"luke"

ahhhhh!