I was amazed to hear some of you hadn't ever seen North and South. Where have you been?!?!
I think there might be a need for more sharing of favorite movies in this world. Its hard these days to find movies worth spending any money on. I'm trying to stay away from PG-13 movies and that limits my options considerably*. So I've been into BBC period dramas.
Masterpiece Theatre has redone quite a few of Jane Austins lately which are quite good (although I've never seen the new Mansfield Park because people's whose opinion I greatly value have told me not to bother) as well as BBC doing a bunch of Mrs. Gaskells books of which North and South is the best. I was entertained by Wives and Daughters
and parts of Cranford
(anyone know if Return to Cranford is good? I don't have high hopes) but they don't even hold a candle to North and South. BTW, I was introduced to the new Emma by my SIL Neita. Thanks Neita!Before I go further, I have to warn you that I own and like parts of the old BBC versions of Jane Austins movies (made in the 1970's) so you may want to take my opinions under advisement.
I watched Daniel Deronda and thought... meh. Too modern.
I like my movies to end up with everyone where and with who they should be and nobody important dead. That's one of the problems with Cranford... it makes you laugh, cry, and say "ahhh" all in the same movie. Movies that make you cry are SAD, NOT fun. Although now that I know who dies I just try not to get attached to them as I watch it again. Then it doesn't bother me as much. Of course, we're going to ignore the fact that I might have cried during North and South and Wives and Daughters. Death is sad and I feel so sorry for those that are left behind without the peace the knowledge the gospel brings.
Sometimes movies make me think of gospel principles. I also talk during movies... and sing. That bothers some people but not anyone I know, right?
Aunt Lynn always ended all her stories with "and then the missionaries knocked on their door and they were baptised and a year later they were sealed to their family in the temple for time and all eternity". Didn't know that Goldilocks and the 3 Bears were members, did you?
But I digress.
I also watched MiddleMarch (Melissa bought a collection of George Elliots movies and let me borrow them) but I remembered starting the book and not liking it much so I wasn't impressed with the movie. I did watch the whole thing though cuz I never finished the book and I was curious as to how it ended.
Another "meh". Wrong people end up all mixed up with each other. Kinda another Wuthering Heights. I admit, I totally didn't understand that book. Or The Great Gatzby. People messing with other people's lives. Meh.
Back to movies that are good. I've watched alot of duds (The Inheritance). Lets see...
Well, when I see some I'll let you know. This Period Drama phase... don't see an end in sight. If you've seen some good clean ones, feel free to share.
Please.
Mr Thorton would like a break.
*OK OK, I do have a FEW PG-13 movies in my collection (just fast forward through the naked bums of Much Ado About Nothing. Totally worth the dancing in the fountain scene. And X-Men has Wolverine.. 'nuff said) but I am trying to follow the example of my awesome SIL Amy and keeping my consumption low.
8 comments:
I can't believe people haven't seen North and South either. I think the first time I ever watched Much Ado About Nothing was with you, just fyi. And now, it is one of my favorites!
OK I am one of the lame people who haven't seen north and south. I bet you would let me borrow it and fix that horrible wrong in my life.
And I finally just read your last post about roaming around in the middle of the night.
I was out of town and without a computer for a while. sorry I am so late.
Yea...I got my name mentioned in your post!
O.K....Agree with Daniel Deronda...try the movie Under the Greenwood Tree...I liked it...it's not North and South...but really what can compare?...and really you want to give Mr. Thorton a break?...I said before that I'm watching the t.v. series Robin Hood with him as the bad guy...and the last episode I was almost...almost wanting him to be with Marion...he was so sincere in his declaration of love to her...but then Robin Hood is bad eye candy either...
You did NOT just call The Inheritance a dud!! That is one of my all time favorite movies.
I just watched Wives and Daughters...or part of it. I just really hated the mom a lot. So I skipped to the end. Not something I ever do, but really, the step-mom was a nightmare!
I LOVE the new BBC Emma. And that says a lot, cuz I HATE the story of Emma.
Have you watched the Anthony Andrews 'Scarlet Pimpernell?' Or 'Slipper in the Rose?'
'The Young Victoria' is pretty decent as well.
Oh, and I love what your Aunt Lynn says at the end of movies. Hilarious:)
Bleak House was marvelous. I'm sad it has such a lame title (Darn you, Mr. Dickens), but it's a great show!! It's hours and hours long, but Kevin and I watched it in a week!
Ahhh! North and South! I need to watch that again. I have watched some PG-13 movies that are much cleaner than some PG's. I don't go by the "worlds" rating anymore. I look at parental reviews of movies online and find out why they rated it the way they did. It's awesome! Then I decide if it is for me or not. I feel humbled that you think of me as an awesome SIL. Except that now that I know the pressure is on. hehe!
..hugh jackman -- woo!
have you seen his oklahoma? you should try it.
i've heard little dorrit is good though i haven't seen it and i loved the jane eyre where the guy looks like a lion. i have to try it. and i'm going to try and find the new emma as well. keep me posted and i'll try to keep you updated as well.
mansfield park? under the greenwood tree?
Gone With The Wind? Its a classic American movie. I love it!
Post a Comment