Monday, October 4, 2010

Duct Tape Wrapping

Thank you so much for the movie suggestions. I'm gonna have to do some "research" and report.

Wasn't conference wonderful? I can't wait to get the Ensign so I can really understand the talks. I always love the first session but the rest kinda flow into one another.

In fact, I loved conference so much that during the Saturday afternoon I had my VT wrap me in duct tape.

I had sewed some material on all the openings of the old T-shirt but I actually don't think it was needed.
Isn't my VT AWESOME?!?!?! I can't thank her enough. She is counting this as 2 visits though so I guess thats some form of payment.
I felt a little like a warrior in full armor (even though I couldn't raise my arms).
My VT had brought her daughter to help rip the duct tape into manageable pieces.
I only lasted two layers even though the internet suggested 3 (1.5 hrs is a LONG time to stand in one place... and it was hot. When Tammie cut it off of me, it was pretty wet inside... EW!) so the VT's daughter balanced ALL the chairs in the tin during the last talks of the session. Pretty impressive.

So your probably asking yourself... why oh why would anyone wrap themselves in duct tape?

I'll tell you.

Cuz after scrunching up 2.5 Sunday newspapers (including adds), I now have this- A dress form in the shape of me. I put her on a stool, but I'll need to figure out a stand cuz she's not exactly plum (see the shim in the form of a binder?). Plus, the fact that I couldn't hem my own skirts was the whole reason I started down this road.
She's not exactly tall enough on a stool.
I thought I'd dress her up anyways.
Do you know how hard it is to get clothes on and off someone that can't raise their arms?
Its really weird to see yourself in 3d. Where did that tummy come from? Am I really that large?... man is that bust small.
Duct tape and newspapers don't squish much. No wonder this gaps so much in the back, its a tight fit.
No bust.. So we'll cover it up.
Oops. Forgot the slip.
Tammy is now an expert in wrapping and can charge exorbitant fees. And I'm ready to gum up all my pins just in time for Halloween.
So, what did you do for Conference?

14 comments:

Chelsea said...

That's so awesome!!! I see one of those in my distant future...

Montana at the Helm said...

At 10:15 this evening Jared and I enjoyed a good laugh. Melanie, you sure crack us up! You're awesome! How do you come up with this stuff?

Sarah Jarvis said...

Awesome and hilarious! How fun!

Barbaloot said...

Gosh-I don't think I want a 3d version of what I look like. It's hard enough just to look in the mirror!

But I love the idea. I wish I could be that crafty.

Heidi said...

OOOOOHHHH that is sooooo awesome!!! You have the best ideas!!

btw - I really look forward to your posts. I miss it when my reader inbox is missing a Melanie S Helm post.

Love you!

Melissa Bunn said...

I've never heard of that before...what a good idea. I was glad you posted about it. I be it makes sewing for yourself so much easier.

Unknown said...

oooh! brilliant! i want to make one, too! - probably after i have the baby, though. I don't think i'll need one with a baby bump quite yet, maybe for next baby i'll have time to make maternity clothes

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

It takes a true friend to wrap you up in duct tape. U R engineer for sure. Love it. And all of your glorious creations.

Emily Nice said...

sounds smelly....

Glad it worked out for you, but i'm a bit frightened by it :)

Eliza said...

I wish I was still your VT'er. That looks like fun! Tammy is the best!

I can't wait to see all of your fabulous creations that you'll make using it.

helmhq said...

Sew "smart" to get your VT to help you out. We VT's love to have a way to actually serve! That's my daughter.

I'm feeling bad. Dad and I didn't do anything creative during conference except take notes. We did get one end of the family room ready for paint between on Sat., not creative, but useful.

txparkinsons said...

HOLY CRAP!

you rock!

Neita and Nate said...

Thanks Jenny for the laugh!!!

And I didn't do that during conference.

I'm still laughing at Jenny's comment...

Anonymous said...

amazing idea. Gee, and I'm the one with a degree in fashion design, why was I never taught this? All that talk about alterations w/ my patterns and my measurements. Blah, blah, blah, wrapping myself in duck tape would have been so much cooler.