Ready to go... into the wild blue yonder. (that's Mom's texting face)
The first time we ever started together! (She always did the Olympic distance)
They announced the water temperature as 66 degrees but once we got in I think it was more like the 76 they had posted at the entrance.My wonderful cheering section ('cept Emily is taking the picture).
Dad thought all the body marking strange and apparently told Melissa marking your transition area with chalk was strange. It was a new experience for him!
Emily took a video of me coming out... I wasn't going to post it cuz it looks like I'm pushing people out of the way but I'm not really. We'll see if blogspot will actually upload it.
The goals of this race were 1. to really push it in the swim since that's what I actually enjoy (hence the running out of the swim) and 2. to run the whole 5k.
Notice the trail of water to my spot.
Go Melissa!
Mm.. we can tell which one is a real biker.
I did beat Melissa on the swim but she passed me right when we got on our bikes. So my next goal will have to be to push it on the bike.
Note to self, don't put your T2 stuff in a drawstring bag inside another drawstring bag. It takes a while to fish it out.
Man, I was feeling it. I tried to lengthen my stride on the run.
I was actually pretty proud of myself when I saw my average was almost a 10 minute mile.
Especially after seeing Melissa on her way back when I was only a few minutes into my run. Talk about discouraging. Although, the expression she was directing to her brother who was running alongside telling her to push it... priceless.
Alec considerately ate the free dinner they provided for the athletes cuz I didn't feel like it.
I took 20 minutes off my time from 2 years ago, which means if I had stayed in the "fat ladies under 39" category I would have placed 2nd. I think I'm going to stay fat.
Previously my time goals have always been overly achievable so this year I tried to be more reasonable. Unfortunately I swung the other way.. by a lot. I'm not going to tell you by how much because there will be much snickering. The problem with doing races again and again is that now I feel pressure to do better. The first time I had no clue and didn't know how to push, so the second time is easy to improve upon... now I need to decide what I'm going to continue with.
That was a bit more commentary than I had planned. Strange that I had lots to say.
Now some random pictures (cuz I didn't take my camera out again until Sunday).
I took a picture of our Sunday dinner cuz I was pretty proud of it. French dip sandwiches. (my FAVORITE), jello, a beautiful honeydew from Emily's garden, and a random assortment of drink choices. Food=love Then Emily and Alec packed up
And they drove away.
Dad killed my dressform with the sword he had bought me on Amazon,
and they drove away the next morning.
Then I missed my guests and needed to find another purpose in life. Enter.. Halloween.
8 comments:
Yeah for doing a triathlon and doing so awesome. I wish I could have been there to cheer you on or particpate, pretty much I'm just jealous that I didn't get to hang out with you guys.
So onto garage sales here is what I have learned.
We leave around 7ish it all depends on the kids. Thursday and Friday night we look on Craigslist to find the garage sales. We have learned a few things about that over the weeks. One know where each one is so you don't drive around all over the place. We have decided to stay in the neighborhoods around ours because we have found great stuff. I don't think you have to go to the rich neighborhoods. I guess it depends what you are looking for.
We always ask for a lower cost. On books and movies its better to make a stack and then offer a price, lower then what is marked.
I have found some of the best stuff later in the day. I found those suitcases and chalk board at almost 12 and I think the lady gave me a great deal on them.
If I were you just look on craigslist and then go around your home. If could be different. Oh and estate sales are great too.
Okay that is long.
Sheesh, Jamie. Did you have to take up ALL the space here? :-)
Melanie! Congrats on the race! You look fantastic! I am glad you talked about it more than you thought you would because I want to hear ALL about it! You and Melissa look great and 20 minutes is SO MUCH time! You should be proud either way, even if you did not make your goal.
Are you thinking of doing any LV races in the spring? Cause I sure am. I would LOVE to see you there! e'll stay in touch!
Sarah
We are so proud of you.
We had a really good time. You took good care of us.
Hope you are sleeping well on your new bed.
Are you swimming without a wetsuit in the freezing cold water?
Mel you SO ROCK!
Melanie, I am proud of you and your efforts to challenge yourself - in a physical competition!
When I grow up... I want to be just like you.
Right now, I am just jealous that you can run.
Big Bro
...who let alec drive???
Gee I feel like I need to be working out more at the YMCA if you and Melissa can do it, so can I. I won't manage a triathlon though, swimming and running never was my forte, but biking, volleyball, soccer, basketball,ultimate frisbee, etc and I'll be there in a jiffy.
Well done Melanie. Great job on improving your PR.
Post a Comment