Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Best Laid Schemes

I had a plan this week to prepare for the triathlon on Saturday.

Swim Monday morning. Mandy was possibly staying at the Mel hotel (everyone welcome!) Monday night and I knew I wouldn't be doing any preparing that night... other than eating ice cream. I also knew it was more likely I would get up to swim than run. Running is my least favorite. Ick. That's why I had to buy an ipod... to distract from the fact I'm running.

Then run Tuesday (if I didn't get up I could run that evening), swim Wed, run Thurs, rest Friday, race Sat.

The plan was going fine (I even ran (in the loosest sense of the word) Tues morning AND evening)... until Wed.

It was cloudy that morning and I saw flashes of lighting in the distance but figured since the pool is indoors I was safe.

The dumb thing was closed. Apparently their pump had given out.

I drove back home. I looked at my running shoes left in the front room from my run the night before. I looked outside. The rain had started to fall.

I looked at the treadmill in the clubhouse across the street. It was being used.

I went upstairs and got back into bed.

Of course, the thunder and rain kept me up until I finally got up and went to work.

I think the exercising gods are conspiring against me.

PS. I just looked back at some of my posts and I can't believe this is my 4th year of doing triathlons (I've only done 5.33 triathlons (counting this coming one), 1 half marathon, and a couple official bike rides during these 4 years, but that is quite different than what I was doing in the years before). Who'd have thunk I'd ever actually do this type of thing? Truth be told, I only do it for the medal everyone gets for participating... but still, me? The crocheting couch potato? And even more surprising, one surgery later I'm still sticking with it! Again.. who'd a thunk?

7 comments:

Gage said...

Not me!

txparkinsons said...

..must be the gods!

Barbaloot said...

It really is just horrible when the world keeps you from being healthy! I know just how you feel:)

Neita and Nate said...

Melanie, You Rock! Plain and Simple. See you soon!

Sarah Jarvis said...

You doing Pumpkinman? How come I did not know? I was thinking of coming... Well, either way. The last week before the race does not matter much anyway. What's in the bank, is in the bank. GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it went and what the medal looks like :-)

Emily Nice said...

how did i miss your last two posts? Your not paranoid there are just a lot of people out to get you.

sometimes I think about of all us kids who'd be the most likely to do triathalons and such. I don't know that I would've picked you right off the bat but it is sooo awesome that you found something you like to do and is healthy!

Montana at the Helm said...

Triathlons are definitely not something I ever saw you participating in, but it sure is awesome!