Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bionic Melanie

An update from the MOM:
Melanie's surgery was a success, however, it took much longer than planned somewhere around 4 or more hours. Melanie does not do well with anesthetic, and so ended up spending an extra day in the hospital. This picture is just before we left the hospital. The others were too pitiful.Maybe this will give an idea of why she still has some pain! You could build a bridge with that much steel! There are two plates on either side of the large bone, the nerve has been moved to the front, and one long plate on the smaller bone on the lower arm.

Emily said that if someone rushes her she can protect herself with her elbow. Dad has asked if she was feeling drawn to any magnets. She will think these are funny in a few more days.

Direct quote from Melanie: "I want to thank everyone for their prayers and good wishes."

7 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

Thanks for the update! It's good to know what is happening. We are all happy that you are there to care for Melanie! Yipee for moms!

txparkinsons said...

i'm so sorry this happened to you ...

i love you forever!

Sarah Jarvis said...

Hang in there Melanie. Best wishes from the Jarvis Family. We are thinking of you....

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Oh my gravy, that is kind of amazing. I think you way out trump Jared with just a whimpy hip.

See ya later today.

Jamie Pearson said...

How cool that you can say you have enough steel to build a bridge seems kind of perfect for you. I'm glad you are doing better. Hang in there I'm sure you will recover great

WARNERS said...

Wow, Melanie - that's pretty amazing... I'm so sorry but I'm so glad that with technology and medicine - you can be fixed and healed. I hope the healing happens quickly with as little pain, frustration, and other negative emotions that come with being injured and out of commission. Miss you! love you! You are so tough!

Anonymous said...

My dad wanted to share his experience with you on broken elbows:

Broken elbows do mend with time.
I broke both of mine in a bicycle accident when I was 19 years old. That was 46 years ago and they are still working fine today. - Steve Bishop

p.s. he asked if I remember the scars and I do. They are cool.