I decided to do the Seattle underground tour cuz it sounded interesting to this Engineer.
While waiting for the next tour (I got started a little late that morning), I saw this store next door...
This was old town Seattle, with new buildings surround it.
And I probably would have taken a few more pictures. And not rolled my eyes every few minutes.
Here I am above the ground...
And the mayor sued the city 3 times... which he settled with himself outside of court.
See, I did learn alot.
Anyway, eventually the City got enough money (by taxing prostitution) to tear down the bluffs and push the dirt down to the flats behind a seawall (more on that later).
They had already tried to use sawdust but that didn't work so well. There was also a big fire which helped the city decide to start all over.
It just took the city many many years to do it. In the mean time, the business' wanted to stay open. So the city built big walls on each side of of the streets as they filled the streets in. Eventually, the lower level became the basements of the buildings around with the sidewalks still open between them.
OK, enough of that. I was tempted to buy the book, but decided to buy it somewhere a little cheaper. So it was interesting... but I was hungry.
This was where you could catch the trolley when the World Fair was in Seattle. It was actually very pretty.
I headed out to the piers. And took a TON of pictures of the coolest raised roadway! But I'll spare you and just show this picture of Madison St. for the parents.
Madison for Madison! My parents high school. I might have started singing when I saw that.
"Madison for Madison.. mumble mumble mumble Madison for Madison mumble mumble why!"
I finally found some fish and chips from Ivers.
No, I didn't feed the seagulls. They had plenty of others to do so.
I really liked the cool fireman ships.
Then, ready to face the world again with plenty of sugar in the blood once again, I went to the Aquarium.
It was way cool. I got to see them feed the octopus as well.
I touched a sea annename! It gave a little bit of a shock and the water was cold! The water at the shark reef in Vegas isn't so cold.
Then I saw this cool poster on the Seattle seawall. I might have spent some time reading all about it... they also had little models. Aren't you sad I didn't take pictures of them?
There were big ships in the harbor.. being pulled by other big boats.
And the Aquarium had a WAY COOL fish ladder.
I took some more pictures of their outside water works, but I will once again spare you.
"Madison for Madison.. mumble mumble mumble Madison for Madison mumble mumble why!"
I finally found some fish and chips from Ivers.
Every child who saw this said "NEMO!".
This guy was turning circles after circles.
I took a picture of myself to prove I was really there.
I walked the long way back to my car and found Pikes Pier and the entrance to one of the raised roadways I'd taken pictures of. Both were equally awesome :-)
And I also passed a Seattle pier "park".
I actually saw a small family with a stroller out on the planks.
And I also passed a Seattle pier "park".
I think its funny cuz there are trees just behind here.
Anyway.. it was really a fun and interesting day and I thought I did a pretty good job at seeing many of the sites in Seattle. Tomorrow I'm heading out to Seattle Center... Kurt, a fellow engineer in Seattle I met during the I-15 design build in Vegas, said I'm a little late for the World Fair but I'm sure I'll find something to see.
7 comments:
How fun! I hope that we can get out there when you are still there. We find out Tuesday or Wednesday where and when we move. So I'm going to hope that you stay in Seattle for awhile so I can see you before you return to Vegas. Then you can be our personal tour guide =) Oh and then maybe we can get emily to come visit.
it looks warmer there then here. Was it smelly like fish? Did you get to look at the ocean? This is a very interesting post as I've never been to Seatle and don't know much about it.
It's a sea anenemenenmeneii.
SO fun! Did you love all the history of Seattle prostitution?!
i liked seattle .. except for the whiney kids who visited with me ...
I am old and got to see the worlds fair there and loved it. I have good memories of Seattle. thanks for sharing the pictures.
Great history lesson on the underground Seattle world. No wonder the vampires in Twilight did so well in that town. Reading about all your treks through the city makes me miss it.
Post a Comment