Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sunday Walk

I found out yesterday that I WILL be going back to Vegas on the 11th of March. Phew.

Of course, Mother wondered why I was so excited since there doesn't seem to be any work in Las Vegas either, but I'm ready to get back to my stuff... and my friends too of course.

Work Smork. Providing for yourself if highly overrated.

I'll post my pictures from my Saturday adventures later cuz right now I have a bunch of pictures I took on my cell phone Sunday. I found on the Internet a park called the "Mercer Slough Nature Park" just down the road from where I am staying with a few miles of trails.

I thought it would be a perfect Sunday walk, especially since the weather was so nice. They sell fruit there during the summer from the old orchard. When they built the locks from Lake Washington out to Puget Sound, the level in Lake Washington dropped significantly, leaving this slough filled with nice peat soil.

I'd often wondered what a slough was. I'd read about them in the Little House on the Prairie series but didn't understand how Laura almost got lost in one with her sisters.
Now I know. It was boggy and filled with tall grasses, trees, brush, and vines.

And along part of the way the city had built boardwalks. I love boardwalks.
I definitely will need some in my backyard.
I might have walked back and forth on those sections a couple of times.

And I will also need a dock.
And some water.. with a Mallard.
And this path.
It was beautiful. A bit chilly as the sun started to set (I was out there for a while) and you could still hear and sometimes see the freeways surrounding the area, but I enjoyed it immensely. It was ALMOST as cool as mountain trails. Almost.

9 comments:

helmhq said...

There are always beautiful places everywhere if we look for them. Glad you found one near you.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Wow March 11th is not very far away. Maybe it will start to warm up here a little bit. It is pretty cold again.

Angela said...

I wish I could have come with you on your adventures! Oh well, maybe next time. I LOVE your pictures!

Emily Nice said...

I like this post. I want a duck too :)

lake/pond/and dock would be nice.

Sorensen said...

You are making me miss my old stomping grounds!

Jamie Pearson said...

Looks so nice. and hey you are supposed to stay out there until we move there. Maybe you can pick up another job out there once we move. I'll keep my fingers crossed for me, yes I'm being selfish

txparkinsons said...

you're so 'northwestern' now ...

Montana at the Helm said...

What is it with you, Emily and Ducks? hehe

I like boardwalks too! They have a simple trail in Glacier that you walk on a boardwalk through very tall, old trees. It feels magical. You should come with us this summer when we go.

Eliza said...

Looks nice!