Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Decoration Secret

I'm going to let it out... my secret decorated house. Yes, you heard me right... MY HOUSE is the secret. I will now share my decorating prowess with more than just my VT's, HT's, Emily and Melissa. I have no other visitors during the holidays even though I BEG and PLEAD for more. Last year I even had the YW come for a meeting. I'm not in Relief Society or Primary, but I offered to let them use my house for meetings and I would even attend them to share my cute ideas. Didn't the Lord tell us to let our light so shine so all in the house may enjoy the light rather than letting it waver under a basket? Too bad they had already made other plans. There goes my willingness to share my smarts (did I mention smart is my middle name?). Sigh. I guess they'll miss out and I will shine my light to my blogging friends and family who really do care.

I got my tree as quickly as I could after Thanksgiving. I'm going home for Christmas (actually thought I'd be spending more time there, but work kinda got in the way... dumb livelihood) and so wouldn't be able to enjoy the tree for long.
I need to draw your attention to some details you might not have noticed at first glance. Do you see the homemade stockings (by me) hanging over the fireplace with handmade yarn angels (by me) sitting on the mantel... oh, you need a closer look?

Here. You will also notice that I hung up my Santa suit on the fireplace.

The dictionary by the fireplace I got for Christmas a couple years ago from Santa. I then received the dictionary stand the year after from the Parkinson Family. Sadly, I don't have a proper tree support to place it on... Just sayin'.

Did you notice how beautiful my tree was in that first picture? No? Well, let me show you. Notice the handmade angel (by me)on top. Emily put the handmade snowflakes (by me) and handmade thread angels (by me) around, even the ugly.. I mean different blue ones (made by me). See how well it is trimmed around the bottom? Spree took the buds off every branch he could reach. The silver ball hanging by the sheep is for him. He likes to say hello to the bird reflection, bump it to ask it to scratch his head, then yell at it for hitting him! Yes, hours of entertainment for both of us. I should get it on video sometime.

And of course, you must see my stairs. I made the gold bow out of left over ribbon from work and the garland was also free from work. There are some lights outside but they don't show up very well so you will just have to imagine the beauty that is my courtyard. The best part of the whole thing is that I have it all on timers. I come home to lights on and a beautiful (albeit dry) tree.

There.. now don't u wish u visited me more often?

BTW.. I accumulate tins. I don't say collect because that implies having rare or antique ones... nope, I just like pretty and interesting tins. The one on the bottom stair was just given to me by my coworker Marcia. Its from the scouts! Never had one like that before.

12 comments:

Emily Nice said...

Pretty house. I like the ones on the two small trees, I meant to help you decorate before I left, but I got busy cooking, etc. Sorry :( Anyways the only thing you don't have is presents under the tree. Maybe next year!
Glad you are into the Christmas spirit.

helmhq said...

Beautiful!!

I'm really impressed, and so glad you shared your pictures with us. Maybe next time someone will take you up on your willingness to share you whole house. I do have envy that your done with your decorating.

Angela said...

Good job Melanie. I think this particular blog has aspired me to want to get my own house soon...Too bad that probably will not happen for years, but hey one can dream! It looks awesome, and I hope you really enjoy it!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I am very impressed. There are not enough elaborate words for my impressedness. Good job. And your crafting sewing skills totally rock.

Kristina P. said...

Excellent, excellent job. Clearly, you are a Christmas decoration ninja.

Neita and Nate said...

Nice job smelanie. It looks TERRIFIC! Thank you for coming to visit. Come again soon.

Montana at the Helm said...

It looks so good that maybe you should stay home and make your parents (and siblings visiting your parents) fly to your house for Christmas!

Shawna said...

Give me a B
Give me an E
Give me an A
Give me an U
Give me a T
Give me an I
Give me a FUL

What's that spell?
BEAUTIFUL

It's very beautiful Melanie! I also love how you decorated your blog. I hope someone used that for a Christmas card, it's just too perfect.

Bethanie said...

Uh..I wish I could use some ! and write something great, but there is only so much you can say using the every day puncuation. Your house looks very nice and I wish i could come and visit you and smell the christmas ham cooking in your oven and the hot apple cider, and the bread and the pumkin pie. Man, it must be dinner time cause I'm sure thinking about food.

Jamie Pearson said...

Wow your house is so pretty. I am impressed. I like how big your tree is too and the fact that it is real. I'm not a big fan of fake ones. I wish our house looked as cute as yours but it doesn't we have to much random stuff in our living room. Next year I will have a decorated house even if Jesse doesn't want to help. Oh and I'm so glad you are going to spend some time in my home town. You wont regret it i promise

Smart Helm said...

Emily - I'm glad u helped me cook. food=love. Decorating Tree = love? not so sure.
Mom, Nutty, Kristina P. and Neita, Shawna, farfar - thanks! Its true I just wanted to show off my handmade stuff.. if u didn't notice.
Angela - good luck with the whole getting ur own house on a teachers salary. Maybe u should try being an engineer... just throwing it out there.
Montana - now u know that will never happen!
thedietrichs - I guess u can use !'s if u want. Perhaps u should go get something to eat.

Eliza said...

Love it! Your craftiness amazes me.