Thursday, December 11, 2008

IM with my fellow engineer Akiko

Background: We moved to a new office and I am now across the "narrow crack between cubicle walls"... I mean "hallway" from Akiko. She has been in the United States for 3 year and working for the last 2 of those years. Her husband's company is based out of Japan but has projects world-wide. Right now they are doing the Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge... that is why they are here in Vegas.

I have Cubicle 55 and she has Cubicle 49.

Oh yes, Jason is a young college guy with no morals (I was going to say questionable morals... but working only a cubicle wall away from him for 2 years has taken out the question) and the man in Office 54 has a loud penetrating voice, especially when he is upset.

Helm [8:53 AM]:So.. I think we are going to have to hear all conversations coming out of office 54!
Akiko [8:55 AM]: for me it is just noise.....I mean I can't understand without consentrate conversations. I'm sorry you are colse to office 54. :S
Helm [8:56 AM]: Its OK.. In the old office I was right next to Jason.. I'm used to hearing everything he said! :)
Helm [8:56 AM]: good thing we have earphones!
Helm [8:56 AM]: :D
Akiko [8:58 AM]: you can be a consulting detective and make a report for his wife.

Akiko is so funny! And just FYI, I am not making fun of her English, I think her joke is hilarious....

Mmm.. maybe u had to be there.

To make this an even more interesting post... here is the comparison between old and new cubicle.. don't worry, neither one is a true representation of how my cubicle normally looks. (think piles (and I use that term loosely) of paper spread haphazardly around the desk with books falling over on the shelves) I just want to draw your attention to the change in space, openness, storage availability, room to move, brightness, comfortable chair, and huge pillar to the right.

12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, cubicle life. I have never worked in a cubicle!

I just looked at your blog roll, and you knnow Pat and Christy! Small world. I only know them through blogging.

Montana at the Helm said...

Hope you are not claustrophobic!

Eliza said...

AH, the cube life. Are you going to decorate? Or just wait for your piles to take over again?

Bethanie said...

When you took the pictures you should have had your Santa Suite hanging up!

Shawna said...

Cool new digs. I just have to ask, is your water bottle yellow or is the bathroom really far?? (I know I have questionable morals sometimes) =)

Smart Helm said...

Kristina - count ur lucky stars.. and yes I know Pat from my family ward and I met Christy when I was in the Singles Ward (she was our RS president).. I saw u on her blog earlier!
Amy-I listen to music to help me go to my happy place (and drown out the lights rattling above me.. DRIVES ME CRAZY!)
Eliza- Wait? why wait... that picture was taken before I moved in... now its like home again.... I mean work again.
Bethanie - I don't think the santa suit would fit in with the decor :-) I do have a small fake tree (they were giving them out free)
Shawna - I'm not going to answer ur question... because ur the one questional, not me! BTW.. yellow is my favorite color... just in case I hadn't told u :-)

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Hey yellow is Pres Monson's favorite color. How cool is that? I am not surprised. Sorry your new home away from home is smaller, it is always so hard to downsize. Best of luck with the adjustment to small spaces

Emily Nice said...

hmmm, I have my own office, with a door, and a table, a rocking chair, two other chairs, plus the one I sit in (which actually is the same one as is in your new space actually). I don't have even have to use earphones! so even though you get rockin' employee appreciation parties, I get better accomidations everyday. not to rub it in or anything, and leaving out the renumeration factor :)

Melissa Bunn said...

Wow, lots of comments! You must be loved. You got to love cubicle life. That is all I know at work. Just think, you might actually get an office when you are a big time project manager! That actually might not be that far away. I guess when you get your office you'll appreciate it much more.

Melissa Bunn said...

I just had to make it to 10! Nine was so close, so here is one more comment!

Emily Nice said...

Oh, its a good thing your cubical has a number so you can find it again!

Smart Helm said...

Great minds think alike!
Thank you Emily for making me feel so... well... never mind.
I am so happy to see u Melissa! OK OK, so I see u all the time, but u know how love=comments.. and I'm not thinking management yet. Got to pass that dumb test first. One step at a time.