Friday, December 19, 2008

Ur Engineer Slip is Showing

This morning on my way to work I missed my exit (shown here... can u believe I found a picture of the EXACT exit I was looking for? Crazy Internet).

Why, u ask? Because I was checking out the bridges! ie.. "Wow that is a big span", "How deep ARE those girders?" and "Why did NDOT ever use flared columns? Octagonal columns are HOT".

Yes, these are the same bridges I have passed under every morning and evening for the last 4 years. Sigh..

In my defense, Jacobs is working on the Southern 215/I-15 interchange and we are analyzing these bridges to be widened. Still, *shaking head* my engineer slip is showing.

Of course... in order to get to work from the next exit (another freeway), I have to pass right by my building, back track alot farther than I thought to cross over the freeway, then finally get on the one way road that I would have exited onto originally.. (big breath) which leads straight to the building.

Lesson learned:
Keep your eyes on the road while driving and stop checking out the scenery, no matter how good looking those bridges are.

13 comments:

Jared said...

when I see DNA on the side of the road, I get side tracked too.

did you try and use your AWD in the snow?

Bethanie said...

Cute Melanie, cute.

Emily Nice said...

I kind of like flared columns, but I think they should put pillanths on top of them (you know what I mean, those things on top of the roman or greek columns). You should be more careful or you could cause an accident you crazy rubbernecker! said out of lots of love. I find myself looking at the fields or the birds, or the whatever and not really watching the road the way I should.

Kristina P. said...

I don't think I've ever missed my exit because I've been distracted. I am perfect, if you remember.

Shawna said...

You're a bridge nerd, that's all I have to say.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I find myself in a similar predicament all the time. My husband would love it if I could simply pay attention to the road more, rather than everything else going on outside the window. However, it is just not possible.

If my beloved GPS wasn't there to guide me, I might never find my way!

-Francesca

PS: Adore your header. Amazing amount of coordination!

Barbaloot said...

Yikes---I can't think of anything more irritating than missing an exit.

On the other hand-I love that you just read Goose Girl. Wasn't it awesome?! Have you read Enna Burning or River Secrets yet? Cuz those are just as good.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I just love you more , the more I know about you. Thanks for the laugh.

Unknown said...

And to think that they give discounts to engineers on their auto insurance because they think they are somehow better drivers! If they were smart, they wouldn't give them to civil engineers, because, I agree...there are just too many interesting things to look at on the side of the road.

Sorensen said...

Oh Smelly moo you are you and that is what you are. Sometimes I have no idea what you are saying but I sure love to listen!

helmhq said...

That's MY Melanie! I've never been distracted while I was driving--never arrived at the church when I really wanted to be at the grocery store or the other way around!

Smart Helm said...

Jared - don't u see DNA by the side of the road all the time? Just wondering...
thedietrichs- what? no !!'s?
Emily - Flared columns just don't do well in earthquakes. That's what they learned from the northridge earthquake.... In case u were wondering.
Kristina P. - That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind as I read ur posts.
Shawna - thanks.. ur a... craft nerd! SO THERE!
3 Bay - Hello! Welcome. Emily has a GPS system and we like to make its say "recalculating route" and my favorite "When possible, make a legal u-turn"
Barbaloot - I loved Shannon Hale as an author so I assumed I had read her books, but after I picked up Goose Girl and read the interview in the back, I realized there was so much more. So excited to find new books!
Nutty - I like u too! I really enjoyed ur lesson on Sunday as well. It was perfect for the holidays. And thanks for sitting with me!
Chelsea - what are u talking about?! We R better drivers, just not when there are bridges :-). Arvid told me that he's almost driven off the road looking at the bridges so I'm not as bad as that yet!
Sorensen - so happy to see you about again! I'd forgotten about that nickname. Lets keep it between u and me, k? :-)
helmhq - driving with you and Aunt Lynn talking to each other... scary! I know where I learned it from :-)

Eliza said...

I totally agree with Shawna and Pat. :)