Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving Stupor and Parlour Games

I'm still in a Thanksgiving Stupor so you'll have to wait to hear all the holiday details. Apparently getting up at 4:00am to fly to Vegas for a full day of work (the boss was gone so I actually had responsibilities! Hence no blogging yesterday) after partying 4 days with the family takes alot out of you. I did sleep a little on the plane and took my usual lunchtime hour nap but still went to bed at 7pm last night... (getting back up around 8:30pm to talk to Emily and Mom on the phone and get some decorations out doesn't count)

Who decided to do the early flight? Oh wait.. that was me. I was once again reminded that time is money. Is it really worth the many dollars I saved by not flying out Sunday night for a full nights rest?

I did get to play What-Am-I with my nieces and nephews Sunday night and eat Creme Puffs (Nathan chowed down on those) and cookies while my brother and sister-in-law went HTing. For those of you who don't know.... What-Am-I is a very old FHE game from my childhood where the performer acts out an animal/character/vegetation (didn't know this was allowed until that night)/family member/object while the audience shouts out guesses. You may think the game is actually called Charades but you would be wrong. WAY wrong. This is WAY different. What-Am-I can involve props, sound effects, speaking trees, and apparently volunteers from the audience. Score is not kept and there are no teams. The Idaho Helm family has only instituted the following rule:

Thou shalt only take 10 seconds while standing on the stage before beginning your performance, unless you are taking volunteers from the audience, the audience members are not yet bored, or everyone is in the kitchen getting cookies.

This rule proved to add more difficulty to the game because often actions performed by the "What-Am-I"ee changed mid performance when they finally decided whom/what they were imitating. It was often best to be patient, although shouting out answers before they get started is acceptable. Oft time a later performer used these guesses as their performance and then I was already ahead of the game.

Tomorrow I will have pictures of the other activities I participated in during the holiday festivities. I know u'll be waiting with baited breath! (I noticed none of my family members have updated their blogs so I don't feel much of a rush)

5 comments:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Sounds like a great time. Glad you are back. Missed you terrible at choir. Holly kept saying nore Alto and it was only me and Donna Marris. I kept saying not to worry when we have Rita and Melanie it will be more than enough. Hooray for Holidays and visiting family.

Bethanie said...

I'm glad that you had a great time. Being with family is great fun! i'm sorry that you were so tired, but to help you feel better Jim is going to be gone all day! He's training his replacment. When he gets here at 8:oo, well he better get her by 8:00 if he wants me to stick around! I'm sorry this comment sure turned to me so Umm, I think your awesome!

Eliza said...

FUN! Your family is so clever.

txparkinsons said...

4am? i new you were nuts, but now i'm sure ...

helmhq said...

The interesting fact regarding the "What Am I" game, is that we were introduced to it by the Hansen family (the younger) when we lived in Connecticut. It has been carried on by our family for a number of years.