Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Running Santas!

Last weekend my sister and I participated in the Opportunity Village Great Santa Run of '08!

Here we are ready to run/walk. Opportunity Village is a non-profit organization that provides handicapped people opportunities to work. They take no funding from the government and provide services such as paper shredding and stuffing mailers. This is the 3rd year they have put on the Santa Run. Last year they broke the Guinness Book of World record for the most Santa's in one place (didn't know there was such a record to be broke, eh?) of 7,269, but was surpassed just a few months later by a grouping in Europe. I haven't been able to see if they broke the record this year, but we tried to help!

We saw Santa cadets running and chanting, baby Santa's in strollers, dogs all dressed up, and lots and lots of men and woman Santa's. Many of them had already started their happy hour (10am? Its Vegas!).









Luckily for us, there was a man helping those along with a message from Jesus...
Even some showgirls showed up! Siegfried and Roy were there to start the walk as well as the Mayor and his wife.



We passed the Weekirko' theHeather Wedding Chapel that is apparently world famous since 1940... Mm.. Anybody heard of it before? We also passed a lady hanging out from the window cheering for us, but I didn't take a picture because we were unsure of her profession. Perhaps she needed that Jesus sign more than us.
We cheered the runners as they passed us (we did the 1 mile stroll rather than the 5k jingle).
Emily tried to get a smile out of the police men we passed by cheering them on too. The first one stayed properly somber, but they gradually softened up along the route and she finally got a wave and smile from the last two.
All in all, it was a fun event to say we had participated in and afterwards we got a whole loaf of Sara Lee's bread! Each! And a couple of bananas and apples. Oh right, and we also got a coupon for half off tickets for La Reve (a show on the strip) that expired Monday. I decided to pass.
K.. I debated on whether to include this video... its just random clips. You can hear Roy talking but really not sure what he's saying because of his stroke. Their support of Opportunity Village came after his attack.

13 comments:

Bethanie said...

I loved this post!! They pictures of you and Emily are just AWESOME!!!! Or as they say on TV...priceless!!!
I wish I had been there! So are you thinking of getting a weekend job as a Santa? You would have to use your manly voice...hummm

Kristina P. said...

What a super fun idea!

Montana at the Helm said...

When I brought up your blog Gage yelled out "Santa, Santa!" After explaining it was Aunt Melanie and Emily he just looked confused. You guys look awesome! That's sounds so fun to do.

Chelsea said...

I have just one problem... I thought Santa was a fat, jolly, old elf. I notice that none of the runners fit that description... although it's questionable about the jolly part. :)

Shawna said...

You guys are just super cute in your Santa suits!

Jamie Pearson said...

I haven't even read the blog yet but I have to say that I am sooooo sad that I didn't go down last weekend. Emily told me about the race and I totally forgot until I saw these awesome pics. Wow they were serious about the whole thing weren't they. You guys are my favorites

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Wow Melanie, you got Kristina P to comment don't you feel special. That girl really gets around.


Ok I loved loved loved this. Too much fun. Thanks for sharing.

txparkinsons said...

where did you get the santa suits? and all i did last weekend is drive 3.5 hours to oklahoma city to sing in a concert that had less people in the audience than in the choir!!1 (we have 30 members) and that's including the people who came with us! i wasted a day ... at least my sisters didn't!

loves from texas

Smart Helm said...

Wow.. this must have been a good post.. look at all the comments!
Bethy, I don't think I want to be a Santa cuz that outfit was hot in the sun and cold in the shade... and I'd certainly have to get a better beard!
I am stalking Kristina P.'s Blog so she said she would happily stalk mine as well... and Pat(Hampster Chick), she certainly does get around. I saw her on one of my fellow civil engineer's blog from my single's ward days!
Poor Gage, perminantly damaged by seeing his maiden aunts in Santa Suits!
Chelsea.. yes, many of those Santa's were very jolly.. the runner didn't fit the discription, but the rest of us did!
Shauna.. yes we are cute!
farfar.. u are my favorite and even though Emily said she didn't think I should come to ur wedding, I'm gonna.
texas... They gave the suits free to the first 5000 to sign up. Wasn't too worried about getting ours :-). I think many people brought theirs from the year before as well. I'm sorry ur day wasn't as wonderful as ours. Perhaps u should have brought Emily and I along, then u woulda have 1 more than the choir!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Sometimes I am awake that late, but this time I scheduled it to post. I should get funny farmer to write a post about that. But in the post options at the bottom of a post you can change the date to be the next day and then set the time you want it to post. I am usually so excited to just post when I write something, but then I would post like three things in one day and nothing for a week. So now I try to spread my posts out. Of course this Christmas card thing is giving me endless fodder to blog about, but sometimes I have more time and so I write more than one at a time. It is kind of like having a frozen dinner ready to go. Such peace that you don't have to think about getting something posted.

word verifier poxin: a pox on you j/k, maybe it is toxin so watch out for those today.

Barbaloot said...

What a cool thing to do!! Maybe I would like running more if I dressed up like Santa...?

Thanks for the comment on my blog:)

helmhq said...

This looks like a fun thing to do! I'm reasonably sure it was for a good cause in addition to trying to achieve a world record. So, did anyone keep track of the times? This was a RACE wasn't it?

You and Emily do make lovely Santa's. Be sure to bring your Santa suits when you come. That would make a good change from sleep wear....

Jamie Pearson said...

I can't believe Emily doesn't think you should come to my wedding..how sad. Now i'm gonna be mad at her. I am glad you think you should come because I think you should and I'm glad that you want to. Thanks for being a great friend.