Sunday, November 1, 2009

HALLOWEEN!

I know you are all just dying to know how my huge sewing project turned out, those of you who knew I had a huge sewing project. The rest of you are... well... anyway, here you are! (Movie Quote.. kinda)

I have to preface this post with the fact that Bethanie is the one that came up with the ideas for the Trunk-Or-Treat. I had nothing.... I told her I had a dress and a tea set and she ran with it. If you ever need ideas, ask Bethanie. I couldn't do the Columns and Lions, but the rest of her ideas were pretty good.

Bethanie suggested I take my tea set (a couple pictures were taken today),
and I remembered I had my cool lamp and doilies,and set up on a chair and table for tea. (In my naivete, I though I could go out Saturday to Walmart and get an ornate patio set but apparently they are out of season. IN VEGAS? Also, furniture is expensive. Just FYI. )

She had many suggestions for what to put behind me, but I settled for an ornate picture and flowers (I wanted a BIG SPRAY of those artistic branches, weeds, and grasses behind me but... well.. apparently I have NO concept of price). I was going to be working on embroidery, but in the haste to get out to the car I had put the hoop somewhere and I didn't find it until this morning (on top of the cookie jar).
Do you like my table cloth? It's my half finished alter cloth from about 4 years ago. I'll finish it eventually.

And then, there was the dress... (ignore the hair... no time)It turned out much better than I thought. My shawl looks nice too, huh? Too bad I put beads on it and now I very much dislike the little clicking sounds they makes.

Here is the problem with a train though. At least its washable.

Most of my time was actually spent on the underdress. I took a picture of it using my timer where the view is weird and... well.. here it is. (Ignore the pile of finished projects to the side. I have WAY too much free time and don't know what to do with a bunch of baby outfits and blankets)I look rather large. The outer material is shear so for the bodice I actually had 3 pieces of material to work with. Even so, you can still see the line of my petticoat under it at the neckline.

The dress was a little tight and I didn't have time to put in all the hooks down the back (which I wouldn't have been able to do up myself anyways. Do you know how hard it is to do up a dress like that BY YOURSELF?)...
Hence why I wore the overcoat. I had a better picture of it gaping in the back but then it was a little...

Be glad I didn't put the picture in.

And I didn't have time to hem the bottom shear material or the lining.
You didn't even notice that in the trunk or treat pictures did you? Ha... that's what I thought.

Then, as long as I was undressing and taking pictures... here is my petticoat.
Had you worried for a sec, didn't I? I thought u'd rather hear than see my testimony.

And here is the back. I know you've seen the bottom of this before. The skirt of the petticoat is a little more period correct than my costume. The pattern I was using didn't have any pleating/gathering in the back and I didn't notice until I put the skirt onto the bodice.

Sometimes my middle name is more of a reminder.

The underdress would probably fit better with gathering in the back which is why I didn't worry too much when the bodice was a bit tight. I did add material to put two pleats in the back of the overcoat, but had thought I had added enough material to make more. Well it is just a costume. The sleeves are WAY too big to be period and the train is so NOT.

Not that I know these things.

Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful Halloween! I love a chance to dress up. I just hope my ward doesn't think I am even more socially unacceptable than they already know me to be.

PS. I ran out of my chocolate (Reese's) candy in the first fifteen minutes (I had bought over 150 pieces) that I started giving out ONE smarty each. Then I went to Smiths afterwards and got myself more. Now I'm having my own after Halloween party.

PPS. I'm a little worried about next year. This year was SO MUCH better than last year but I don't know if I can top this one. Although I did see a lady at Smiths dressed up as Willie Wonka (complete with goggles and top hat). Ah.. the possibilities.

11 comments:

Barbaloot said...

150 pieces in 15 minutes?! That's a serious trunk-or-treat.

Love the costume. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

I love what you did for Halloween. Your dress is lovely. As for the dirt your train collected, keep that in mind when it's time to buy your wedding dress. My train did the same thing. Of course, you only have to wear the dress once.

Kevin said...

So what WERE you?
--Chelsea

Smart Helm said...

Jane Austin times of course!

Montana at the Helm said...

You looked great! You sure to know how to hide the unfinished parts of your costume! What a pro.

txparkinsons said...

you are so cool! really!

(that's all i've got)

next year i'm going medival!

Kara said...

Looks like it turned out great! I love the fabric of the overcoat.

I can totally relate to the almost-finished project. My Mom sewed me into my wedding dress!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Ok but which Jane Austin person? Elizabeth Bennet, probably because she is the smart one. I am very jealous. I have wanted a Jane Austin costume for a long time. Maybe when my kids stop dressing up, I will get my act together and make myself a costume. I have also always wanted a dress like one from gone with the wind.

Emily Nice said...

what about the corset? i like your set up a lot.

i always leave my embroidery hoop on the cookie jar.

Bethanie said...

I think your dress ended up looking lovely. Sorry about the "out of season thing" I mean really whats with Christmas things (Walmart) out a week before Halloween. I don't think there really is such a thing as out of season anymore.

Shawna said...

That was a way cool costume and I think you had the best trunk!