Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cooking Mayhem

Sunday I finished the book I had been reading nonstop all day (except for church and choir) later in the evening. Of course I was hungry since I hadn't taken time to really fix anything while I read. So I got started.

Saturday night I had gone to the store hungry after work so I had picked up quite a bit of food. First, I started roasting a chicken based on the idea I got from the pioneer woman because the little chickens were on sale at Smiths.
Then, I had bought some cabbage to try out a pork and cabbage dumpling soup I'd seen featured on the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen so I started water to boil the cabbage leaves and mixed the meat (I might have added carrots AND onions to my sausage instead of pork... I like sausage!) to make the dumplings.

Next time I won't spend the time to make the dumplings.. I'll just add the sausage and cabbage and lime juice (with any other vegetables I feel like.. like celery!) and call that it. Those dumb chives kept breaking!

Of course I knew I wouldn't use up all the sausage and cabbage so I started the dough for peroskies (I learned today that peroskie is the correct word for them, not Runsa. The drafter lady originally from the Ukraine told me so).

There is the finished soup and my roasted chicken (it was prettier in person).

And the peroskies cooling with the chicken carcass boiling away on the stove at 10pm.
What is wrong with me? Apparently I've never learned MODERATION in all things yet.

So.. if anyone is hungry, they can come raid my freezer. I've got LOTS of food.

PS. To top it all off, because this project is supposedly winding down at work (WHY OH WHY not for ME?) people brought in from other offices around the country are going back and we are taking them out. Yesterday we went out for lunch (whose leftovers has/will feed me for two meals) and today we went out again (whose leftovers fed me for another meal). Good thing I only had to pay for one of those.

PPS. This is a picture I took in February when I used the new dish Jared and Amy gave me for Christmas to make apple crisp when the apples were so cheap. I wanted to show them I love my new backing dish and can't wait to use it in my toaster oven! Perhaps it will help me learn portioning :-).

7 comments:

Sarah Jarvis said...

Oh my. All that yummy food makes me very hungry! Great job on preparing so many delicious things!

Montana at the Helm said...

Sure wish I was there to eat it all with you. It looks delicious! Good luck with the portions thing. It's a hard one when you come from a big family. Happy to see you are enjoying the little baking dish.

helmhq said...

No wonder you run. All that good food! Maybe it's a good thing we don't live that close. We'd drop over for food all the time and be fatter.

The Metge Family said...

Wow, that all looks so good!

Emily Nice said...

Did it taste good? it all looks great and i'm muy impressed

Sorensen said...

You need to come cook at my place!

Eliza said...

Yum! It looks delish!!! Maybe you should learn time management too. What were you doing still cooking things at 10PM? Go to bed lady! :)