So others besides Mandy has asked for the recipe. I thought I would share it, even though its not mine and the authors don't get any money from me sharing. I'll repent later :-)
Its from this cool cookbook I got for Christmas called "America's Best Lost Recipes" made by the editors of "Cook's Country" Magazine. Emily and Mom LOVE this magazine. I love my new cook book! They give an explanation of where the recipe came from and how the cooks experimented to make it better. Its really fun! You learn alot about how ingredients change the taste/texture/time of the recipe.
This Recipe calls them -
RUNSAS (Beef and Cabbage Buns with Cheese) (it says its originally from Germans that settled in Russia and then immigrated to the US Midwest)
Dough
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (I just used regular 1% and it was fine)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I did half wheat this last time and it was great)
2 packages rapid-rise or instant yeast (I used just regular and didn't put quite as much in (each package is 2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast) since you raise the dough twice. It still worked with the wheat flour even though it took a little longer for them to rise)
1 teaspoon salt
Filling
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I actually didn't use any)
1 1/2 pounds 90% lean ground beef (I used sausage... tastes so much better!)
1 large onion, chopped fine
1/2 small head of cabbage cored and chopped (about 3 cups)
salt and pepper
8 slices deli American cheese (since I used sausage, I didn't need any cheese and I also didn't use salt and pepper to taste)
Dough: Lightly grease a large bowl with cooking spray. Mix the water, mild, oil, sugar, and egg in a large measuring cup. Mix the flour, yeast, and salt in a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook (they are so specific!). With the mixer on low, add the water mixture. After the dough comes together, increase speed and mix until shiny and smooth, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured work surface, shape into a ball, and place in the greased bowl. (I just kneaded the dough in the mixer and left it in there to rise... it stuck a little to the sides but not that bad). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Filling: Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Add the beef and cook until just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes, breaking up any large clumps. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a paper-towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and toss until just beginning to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes. Return the beef to the pan and season with salt and pepper. (YA RIGHT! I browned my sausage, threw in whatever I wanted, including grated carrots and cooked it. This is why I had some juices left over to cook more cabbage in after I used all my meat mixture.. Didn't pour off anything :-)(They also mention in their notes not to cook the cabbage too much cuz u want it crunchy... not me. I want everything good and cooked. )
Assemble: Heat oven to 350. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray.
Here is where I very much deviated from the recipe. They say to divide the dough into eight equal pieces and roll them out into 7" circles. They use a cereal bowl to help create the filled rolls. I thought those were WAY too big (they say to put 4 on each baking sheet!), so I cut them in half (16 peroskies). I rolled them out, cupped them in my hand, filled, and then brought all the edges together in one pinch in the center. I was much better at it this second time around. When placing the buns on the baking sheet, place them seam down. My buns leaked and ran a little, but they still stayed together and cooked all the way through. Everything came off the cooking sheet as well, even thought it browned.
Cooking: Cover and let raise until puffed, about 20 minutes. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Brush hot buns with butter (I didn't bother cuz my butter was all frozen).
Enjoy! They freeze REALLY well and warm up in the microwave crazy fast. I took some out of the fridge with me to YW Thursday night and put them in the microwave for 1.3 minutes. WAY too long. Had to wait to let them cool and I was starving!
Friday, March 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have never heard of Peroskies. Are they they same as perogies?
Remember all of these eaten as snacks before soccer or other after school activities. We would use Aunt Lynnes shredder on her Bosch for the vegies and ours included carrots. We used lots and lots of vegies and a little of that great locally made lean sausage we could get at the meat market. We found cheese made them leak more and stuck more to the pan, so eventually stopped using it. we must have made many hundreds.
I discovered a really yummy variation: replace the cabbage with bell peppers and a can of green chiles. yum! But don't try using bagel dough. It doesn't work. The bread part puffs while it cooks and turns unto a roll - leaving all the innards outside on the pan. Sigh.
Thank you, Melanie! I'm excited to try it out and snarf them. I'm going to Albuquerque Tues. to visit my family for a week. Maybe we'll have to make some!
Post a Comment