Monday, March 2, 2009

Domesticating Smart

This weekend I felt very domestic. I thought I would show u the fruits of my domesticity.

First, I showed Melissa how my massive Rosemary plant was trying to take over the corner of my garden and how ugly it was, all flopping over. I guess its something ur supposed to prune.... Not much into prunes here.

She suggested drying it and giving it as presents.
Um... OK. I've seen Elizabeth and Jane hang up plants to dry in "Pride and Prejudice". So I cut a bunch of it down. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the ugliness before I cut it back. And in the finished picture it looks almost cute... Its not. It's sad. (Did I mention this poor plant sat for 3 years in a small pot struggling to live? 2 years in the ground has made it a monster.)
And the pile of stems I cut looks small in the picture... its not. It's huge! See the scissors and twine there for size?
I tied the trimmings together into bunches. Everything smelled so strongly of Rosemary; the courtyard, my new gloves, my clothes, Spree (he was helping by warning off all the other birds in the vicinity).
I then washed the bunches (didn't really want to dry spiderwebs) and hung them in the garage.
Look how domestic that looks (now if I just knew what to do with it) and every time I go into my garage it smells like Rosemary. I suppose that's better than the smell of Raid.
I then cleaned and dusted my room which tired me out so, that I had to read 2 books. I couldn't be TOO domestic this weekend. (I was pretty proud of myself for not reading that third book I bought)
Sunday I was soooo hungry (fast Sunday) that I made 2 meals for dinner, Mexican Stack-Ups and Peroskies (my cookbook calls them Runsa and Melissa calls them Patsys(?)). Mexican Stack-Ups are boring so I didn't take a picture, but Peroskies are hard (apparently I thought a half peeled cucumber would look pretty in the picture).
This time I doubled the recipe because last time I had lots of leftover filling. I made 22 peroskies with sausage, cabbage, carrots and onions; 6 with just cabbage I cooked in the sauce left at the bottom of the pan (I ran out of the meat mixture); and then 4 plain rolls.
And after all this cooking....(drum roll please)..... I CLEANED UP! HAND WASHED the dishes and STARTED the dishwasher.
Yes... I think I may actually be becoming domesticated.
PS... my garden has WORMS!! I found them when I planted my tomatoes and peppers. I was so excited that I danced around my courtyard yelling "I HAVE WORMS!!".

8 comments:

helmhq said...

Worms are supposed to be the sign of healthy soil so rejoice! I love rosemary, there are lots of ways to use it. Gifting is a great idea. And you can just keep trimming your plant into the shape you want whenever you need some fresh. And boy does your food look good!

Bethanie said...

You will have to show me the moves to your worm dance. I'm so excited that I'm going to come and visit you THIS month! AHHH.

Montana at the Helm said...

You are definitely looking and acting domestic. Feels good every once in a while doesn't it?!?

Stephen said...

Thanks for the thoughtful comments at my llog. Do a little research into the Paleo Diet for the possible diabetes. Good luck with the triathlons.

Eliza said...

I hope that I'm the reciepient of some of the rosemary gifts you have drying so beautifully. I don't know how, but I killed my plant. Yours gives new meaning to "it grows like a weed".

You are AMAZING!

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to rosemary bush, good thing that I live where they grow abundantly. I really like roasted potatoes with rosemary-very scrumptious.

WARNERS said...

Wow, I'm drooling over your Peroskies - the look perfect. What recipe did you use? I actually told my mom a couple of months ago that I was craving them and wanted to make them. Seriously, can you email me your recipe or tell me where you got it? Thanks!

The Rosemary looks fantastic.

Emily Nice said...

I'm definately going to try and make some peskies. But not today, maybe tomorrow? darn i always put off my domestication projects...

Worms? you can take a pill for that.... he he he he he (quote?)