Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chrochet Musings and How Wonderful AM I

This is what I gave the newest baby born last week in my family ward. I admit the edging on the blanket isn't as pretty compared to others I've done, but I didn't know it was going to be ugly when I started. When people look at it they will just think its old fashion. I probably should stick with the tried and true, but how boring is that?

(And no, I didn't say that to catch some compliments on my fishing pole. Most of u know I am very opinionated when it comes to pretty vs ugly crocheted things. I've made some pretty ugly things in my day, but luckily was able to give most of them away :-))

The last 2 babies blessed (2 boys) from our ward wore white booties made by me (I didn't realize I gave everyone those white loafers with blue edging!).

It made me feel so happy when I realized that! When I make things, sometimes its hard to imagine someone actually using them. Especially people other than my family. The Fam loves me so I know they'll use what I made regardless of the actual usefulness of the article.

Jamie created this picture of Mandy's Kimball wearing the sneakers. Isn't it awesome? She was so excited that she called me at work to tell me to check my email. Yes Jamie, it is so awesome that I'm putting it on my blog!

When Angus showed his new daughter off at work she was wearing booties I made as well.

I guess I'm just spreading the love!

Truth be told, I just like to sit in front of the TV. I feel perfectly justified in sitting in front of the TV if I'm crocheting. I AM being productive... rather than the rest of you evil time wasters! Shore, ur house is clean, food is on the table, laundry done, scrapbooking up to date, appointments made, VTing done, garden tilled, flowers planted, and Sunday lesson planned; but I am surrounded by crocheted blankets, booties, sweaters, afghans, stuffed animals, and a table insert I'm experimenting with.

HA. Where are ur priorities people?

This is a picture of Melissa's brothers son in a sweater I crocheted and laying on the blanket I edged. Its hard to know what to do with all the sweaters I made last summer because nobody can use them here in Vegas :-). Plus, I'm not so good on the whole size thing (see how its big on that baby? Like I would know how old the baby needs to be before it fits!).

FYI, those of u having babies soon or not so soon... I need the flavor and addresses, but don't share until u want to actually receive the package. Otherwise I'll forget.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

How do you edge your blankets? Do you sew little holes all along the edge? or do you just have a really sharp, pointy hook?

By the way, all your crocheting is gorgeous, it's just the patterns that need help sometimes.(-:

Smart Helm said...

I admit it, I'm ghetto about cutting and hemming my blankets. Thats not the fun part! So I just cut the corners in an arc (basing on an old blanket) and then sew a rolled hem around. I'm not very even (cuz I don't pin... boring!)so the blanket doesn't really fold in a nice square anymore and the hem kinda pulls so the edge is wavy. Ghetto.

Then I just crochet over the hem, poking my crochet hook in and trying to do it evenly. Its easy to poke through one layer of fabric, although I do use a number 8 hook and then crochet my edging using a 7 hook (when I remember to switch).

BTW, I just jumped right in when I decided to do edgings and so made some mistakes. I'm an engineer that way. Perhaps u should ask a real crocheter!

Montana at the Helm said...

If I was as talented as you, then I could I be as wonderful as you are???

You really make some gorgeous things Melanie, I am jealous. Yes I know I could try and learn, but these things don't come easy to my brain and I would rather just be jealous, I guess.

Bethanie said...

You are awesome Melanie...I mean You are so smart!

helmhq said...

As always your stuff is beautiful. Isn't it amazing how far the student can surpass the teacher.

Emily Nice said...

Its funny how we don't agree on what is pretty or ugly (crocheted stuff that is). I like that edging. I tend to like the more open lacy stuff and you like the more filled in ones. Either way I think its cool that you use your tallent to give to others.

I love Jamie's picture she did such a good job and so did you (and so did Mandy if we are giving credit, his ankle rolls are very becoming). BTW I really like the socks you crocheted for me. I know they aren't as cute as baby stuff but I like them cause they are warm and comfy.

WARNERS said...

I Love my baby stuff you made! I can't wait to have another one just so I can get beautiful stuff from you! I love that little blue sweater! It is so beautiful. Too bad I don't live somewhere cold so I could put in a sweater request. I miss living with you. I have fond memories of you in your bed, crocheting, reading a book and munching on goldfish crackers! Makes me laugh.

Oh, and thanks Emily for the credit on Kimball and his flattering ankles!

Heidi said...

I think everything shown here is beautiful! I love the white edging on that blanket (but I love old fashioned, so . . .)