Monday, September 8, 2008

FYI, Useful Information

I just wanted to give you a tidbit of information that I learned this weekend while cleaning my house. Just to give you some background, my parents are coming to visit this weekend(!!! I am SO EXCITED!!!) to help me buy my new car (my father feels a great responsibility for me... plus he likes to buy new cars!) so I have been trying to get my house ready. Unfortunately, I kept getting distracted with doing the big things like cleaning the whole fridge and cleaning out the whole laundry room, not to mention crocheting and all the other things I had planned on doing this weekend. Sigh.. I always have grand ideas and no follow through! Still, I'm pretty proud of myself for what I did get done. All that's left is the car, garden, and vacuuming. So... back to the information for u. I decided to spray my garage with Raid as well as outside around the windows and door.
Here is the tidbit. Are u ready? Don't spray raid around your air handler (handles the AC and heat) in the garage thinking that you can go back into the house and the smell will stay there. I went inside and and realized the smell was slowly starting to radiate through the house... oh ya, the AC is on! Duh! I turned on all the exhaust fans in the bathrooms and laundry room. I was most worried about Spree cuz birds are filled with air, including their bones and are pretty sensitive to fumes. I put a candle on his cage and lit a couple of others through the house. Once the AC went off, no more smell, but I knew during the night it would go back on again, but by then some of the smell will have dissipated in the garage. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't that bad cuz of course most of the AC air is recirculated. The system is just not entirely air tight, especially in this older town home. It was really annoying.
Now u know.

5 comments:

WARNERS said...

I've been using raid because we have serious ant problems here and it is very heavily scented. I can't take the smell - but I guess in your case it was a good thing because maybe you wouldn't have known about it otherwise. We finally got our house and yard professionally sprayed because we couldn't keep it under control. It is a million times better now - except when they sniff out watermelon rinds in the trash can (outside, thankfully). I like your blog!

Jamie Pearson said...

Hey Melanie i have a question for you... can i make a RSVP thing on my blog? i want people to go there to RSVP for the wedding. Let me know if you think i can do that. Thanks. oh i love the story about the raid that was so funny...you love that bird don't you. You would be so sad if he died so stop telling us you want to give him away!! =) Love ya

Jared said...

I was thinking that if the raid killed the bird then the bird must be a pest. hmmmm!

Bethanie said...

Now that it is fall, we need to spray around the house for the decorated oriental beetle or fake lady bug and the box elder something. Anyway as things get colder they try to get into your house and boy they can get into everything.So now I know not to spray it around the AC Except with it getting colder I don't think I need the AC. details details.
HGREYYYEAAUMMPA!

Unknown said...

I got this wonderful spider spray stuff cuz we live in a basement apartment. I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head (cuz i'm at work right now, and the spray is at home...don't tell, I'm reading your blog at work) but it's awesome, and it only smells a little funny, but only while it's wet. I have to move my bird out of the room when I spray, no birds are not pests!