Friday, September 19, 2008

Kokapelli Here I come

Today I am wearing my Kokapelli shirt from last year's Kokapelli that was cancelled after the swim. I am trying to be confident instead of nervous. Its tomorrow morning! Scary! I couldn't sleep last night so this means I am tired and nervous and will probably become fairly cranky in the hours and day to come. I did want to share some things I learned to help me prepare. They come from a very funny book called "The Slow Fat Triathlete". Mom enjoyed reading it too. The author writes much like she is talks so there is some language, but its not gratuitous. Definitely much less than TV or at work, although that not saying much with the excommunicated Angus sitting across the way! (Yes, that is his name.. I'm not trying to change the names to protect the innocent) My comments are from my own sweet spirit :-)
1. Take a break from exercising a couple days before the race. I can't remember the word they used... like slowdown or something. Anyway, to me it means I can stop exercising and eat ice cream.
2. Load up on Carbs. Melissa calls it carbo-loading. Its because supposedly you will be using up all these carbs on race day. To me it means eat pasta with my ice cream.
3. Pack all your gear early. Because a Triathlon involves 3 sports, there's alot of stuff you need. Last year I forgot my goggles and it was a good thing Emily had brought all her swimming stuff so I could borrow hers. To me this means stress over everything you might forget the night before you leave instead of sleeping. Oh yes, and don't pack until right before u leave.
4. Get lots of rest! Obviously this is not happening for me and I have nothing else to say on the subject.
5. Stay hydrated. If u are not hydrated... it hurts! To me this means drinking so much water I have to get up 4 times during the night to relieve myself (sleep? whats that?). In Kokapelli while I was waiting in the lake to start.... well... perhaps that is TMI. Hey..... we were waiting for at least 30 minutes (it felt like hrs)!
6. Get there early to find your spot to get the layout and feel for the transition area. To Melissa that means getting there 2 hrs early so she can set up me and her and do an hr warmup ride on her bike. To me that means don't sleep the night before for fear of sleeping through the alarm.
7. Relax and have fun! To me that means have people come cheer for you and then stress about getting the house cleaned and food ready for them. Also stress somewhat about lodging in St. George and at my house. Think about bringing poster board and markers so they can have posters to cheer us on.

Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Jared said...

luck

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

You go girl!!!! I am so impressed that I even know you. Best of luck and well wishes and try not to stress. I will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow morning. :) And I will miss being in young women's as well if I didn't say that to you yet. But we can still be best choir buddies, OK.

Bethanie said...

GOOD LUCK MELANIE!
Hteiha htkei hekwj! The dragon say's it all. What more do I need to say?
If I was there to cheer this is what my poster would say;

Go Mel go!
Swim, Bike and run.
Careful not to stub your toe,
Watchful of the line YOUR DONE!

Sorensen said...

I am so proud of my smelly melly! I am anxiously awaiting the update with the all the sordid details! I am sending you athletic vibes!

Montana at the Helm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Montana at the Helm said...

Oh, that was me removing my comment, but here's anther one.

Jared just told me that you finished your race! Yipee! I guess all that ice cream paid off. I've got to try that.

Angela said...

How come no one called me to tell me all these things?