Thursday, September 4, 2008

Swimming

Last night I went swimming with Melissa in preparation for the Kokapelli triathlon (in 2 weeks... AHHHH!) and I beat her! Ya for me!!

OK, so she had an coughing attack and was having a hard time finding her breathe, but I still beat her. Apparently the poor soul had trouble the rest of the evening and into the night. I told her she needs an inhaler like me but she just might have to borrow mine before the race. I was all excited to show Emily my inhaler when I was visiting her, but she said she had never had one! I thought all the sporty people in my family had had to puff before games and meets. Asthma runs in the family... we got it from our mother who puffs steroids and gets allergy shots... or so I thought.

Maybe I just need to exercise more.

The sad part about that very first sentence is that last year I did use to beat her. Now she's gotten better and I've gotten fatter. I should never have let her borrow that CD I bought that teaches you how to swim!

Hopefully we will be able to practice open water swimming this weekend out at Lake Mead. It might be hard to schedule around the football game, morning bike ride, PE review class, doing a deep clean of the house before the parents come next week to help me buy a new car, clearing out my 'garden' (dead plants), looking into finance for said new car as well as getting Suzy ready to sell to Jared, and preparing a YW lesson.

Believe me when I tell you open water swimming is VERY different than in a pool. Waves keep trying to get into your mouth and you can't see 2 inches into the dirty water. Learning to sight is even more tiring than the actual swimming! Mm.. maybe I'll skip it and just run into the boats along the way. Last year at Kokapelli I got stuck up against the rope holding the buoy in the water. It was actually kinda funny cuz the guy in the canoe there heard me say 'I'm stuck' (because we all keep a running commentary of our lives, its just that most people keep it inside their heads) and got a little nervous for me. I just pushed it out of the way (it was one of those blow up kind, not the real ones that are too scary to get next too... who knows what is under there and where it goes.... shivers.. scary) and went on with the other splashing bodies. Those Ethiopian ladies... it can get a little rough.

PS.. Mauvia, I haven't forgotten u tagged me.. I'm still thinking of what quirks I have. I've only thought of 2. Everything I do is perfectly normal! :-)

3 comments:

Sorensen said...

I can wait. Good luck with the swim.

Emily Nice said...

I swam out to the bouey (however you spell it) twice, and I wasn't even scared of it! yay for me. I know you will do awesome at the triathalon because I will be there to cheer you on! Go Melanie!!!!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

good luck with you saturday activities