Akiko's birthday is on the 7th (coworker) , but she was born in Japan so we decided we were really born on the same day since it's already the 7th over there. We got to go out to lunch together with Marcia as well since her birthday was on the 1st. And Arvids is on the 31st! We are a May structures group (that is if we get the big job at the end of May and I don't get laid off for blogging too much).
And for my birthday, my garden decided to grow! I'm so happy! Here are my squash plants.
The two on the right with the lighter leaves are volunteers from my compost pile I had there during the winter. I'm assuming they are squash.... they are some sort of gourd. I have THREE squash growing (the three female flowers I pollinated with the ONE male flower I had... That flower sure got around :-) and I'm going to take them up to Provo this weekend to share with Emily. She always shares her garden goodness with me so I thought I'd reciprocate.Here r my tomato plants.
I've got a couple getting ready to turn red but they won't be ready to take up to see Emily. The plant front and center is actually a pepper plant that made it through the winter... I cut it back and all of a sudden all the thick stems are COVERED in leaves. I also planted 2 new ones so we'll see if it's better to replant or save the old.And here is the plant Birgit gave me when she moved. I thought it was kinda ugly...
But now it bloomed! the flowers are SOO pretty! I LOVE it.So... this really wasn't a post about my birthday cuz I wanted to post about my garden instead. U'll just have to get over it. I'm not really celebrating it until this weekend in Provo and even though Emily is ill (don't worry, she hasn't touched any pigs like Nathan did), we will have some fun.
PS. Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo and as I was writing a comment to my sister, I realized I had boycotted it... I had Chinese Stir Fry for lunch (don't tell Emily but it was made with turkey meat and had celery in it), and a French Dip Sandwich for Dinner. :-)
14 comments:
Happy birthday! Mine is on Tuesday. Does your birthday ever fall on MOther's Day? Mine does sometimes.
OooooAaaawwwe! Your plants look fabulous!
I loved sharing my birthday with you, even if it wasn't all that fun for you! Your garden looks great--I haven't even planted anything yet. I have got the soil ready in one bed! We didn't do anything for Cinco de Mayo and we live in New Mexico.
I don't know what it is with the whole boycotting cinco de mayo thing. Oh well, I will still keep you guys. I like your flowers muy muy mucho!
wv- payosist- a payment counselor
Happy Birthday to YOU!!!
Glad you had good food on your birthday. It's always important to be well fed.
Are you going to visit me and Chelsea when you come up?
Happy birthday!
Wowo look at all those plants. That is so awesome. Hope your day was great and have fun in Utah and say hi to Emily for me. Or maybe she is reading this, in which case, Hi Emily, hope you feel better soon!
happy birthday to your garden ...
Happy birthday Melanie. I'm so glad that your garden looks good on your birthday. What more could you ask for?
yay glad you are going to visit me. My garden makes me happy. I hope yours makes you happy. yay for birthdays. We are going to have a birthday extravaganza... well I planned for that but since I feel icky and can't breathe we may have to wait
Thank you Melanie for the swine reference. You know I never did have any negative feelings about sharing a birthday. I knew she could never fit into my new clothes.
Happy Birthday, again...
Happy birthday! The garden looks very good, makes me think that I should probably get started pretty soon here or I won't get anything. I did buy seeds a couple of weeks ago-that counts, right?
It looks like you had a fabulous birthday. Your garden looks great! It wont be long until your eating the fruits of your labors.
Post a Comment