Emily asked for a handkerchief to have at the temple quite a while ago. I tried to make some, but my hems where huge and bulky... just not right for a dainty handkerchief! So I gave up....
Then, this Sunday I decided I should do something Sunday-like, especially since I missed church. Out came the sewing machine, muslin, and a hemming foot on my sewing machine. I'd never really tried it before. I messed around and finally got a pretty good small hem.
I could then produce this:
Isn't it way cool? I am so impressed with myself! I used a tiny crochet hook and the thinnest crochet thread I had.See that cool embroidery in the corner? I printed it off my computer and then just satin stitched over the black. Unfortunately, I learned that when you stitch over paper... It stays under ur stitches! I spent hours trying to pick the black paper out. I missed only a few small pieces but then those bled ugly purplely ink onto the muslin. I called my mother in a panic and after her many suggestions I finally just bleached it. I also went to the fabric store the next day and got some marking stuff for next time.... although I'm not so sure there will be a next time. That was hard work!
Emily asked me if I had put "ENH" as her initials but I knew "EH" was going to be hard enough so I didn't, even though I had thought about it :-) (Yes, I told her all about what I had done even though I was planning on it being a surprise cuz I was so excited for her to get it! I told her on the day I mailed it so I was silent for 2 days. )
As a side note... here is some squash I've gotten from my garden (most of u have seen this picture on Emily's blog)
I put the screw drive in there for scale (OK, so its a tiny screwdriver).While I was ill, I didn't feel well to do anything in the garden but water so on Monday I ended up with these monstrosities.
Isn't it crazy how fast those suckers grow?PS.. I've taken quite a few tomatoes off my plants as well, but they go straight from the vine to my sandwich.. no time for pictures!
11 comments:
what are those monstrosities! are they taking over new york? maybe if you fork 'em ....
wv- retche = my comment on this blog ...
Wow i'm so jealous you are getting fruit off your plants. I'm still waiting for mine thats for sure. And hey that is a cool handkerchief.
So sorry to hear you were sick over the long weekend. I'm glad that you are all better. I love zucchini-it's so prolific!
The handkerchief is gorgeous, no doubt about that. You really are amazing! I laughed when I saw that teeny screwdriver you used to scale your squash. Clever!
beauti eh!
I have bigger screw drivers if you need one.
Beautiful handkerchief. I don't own one, so I don't even know how to spell that word. Sad. But I do eat Zucchini. We love zukes. We are trying to grow some Melons, tomatoes, and cukes in buckets on our front lawn but I don't have much hope. It will either not grow or get eaten by all the neighbor kids. Maybe we will have to come to your house. Oh, hey, we ARE coming to your house soon. Yeah!
Beautiful! I imagined that the H was D, then it could be mine! :)
Laughed and had to show Russell your screwdriver. Love seeing your garden pictures. I can't wait for stuff to grow in mine.
It is such a pretty handkerchief! I've left it out on the table so others can see it and feel jealous. I'm allowed to be prideful about your accomplishments, right? I've got my first blossoms can't wait to put up my own pictures of harvests too. Thanks again for the beautiful handkerchief! I need a hopeless chest to put it in so it can smell like cedar. love that smell! Love you!!1
Very nice needle work! I can't believe you already have produce!
Beautiful work, and aren't I a smart mother--maybe you got it from ME.
Wish my garden were planted!
Such talent, Such grace!
Post a Comment