Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Conference Weekend and Easter Biscuits

Wasn't conference wonderful? I love just sitting and being fed... and its a GREAT excuse to crochet all day. I was working on a baby dress my VTee wanted me to do for her. But that is fodder for a whole 'nuther post so you'll have to wait..

I didn't want to show the pictures yet of what I entered into the fair until I could show all the blue ribbons that will go along with them, but this blanket has a story I wanted to share. While out shopping Friday night, I got a phone call that went like this:
"Melanie Helm?"
"This is she."
"I work at the Fair and was wondering if your baby afghan was for sale."
"Um....well.... I hadn't really thought about it!"
"Well, think about it. My daughter is having a baby and I thought the blanket would be perfect."
"OK, I'll think about it".

I've NEVER had anyone I didn't know SPONTANEOUSLY ask to buy my stuff so I didn't know what to do. Don't worry, I will call her back soon and say "SHORE!". I've been trying to think of a reasonable price. As a sister in my parents ward said, "You just need enough money to feed your habit". Hand made items are ALWAYS cheaper than the time spent making them.

On Saturday evening I made a quick trip to Joann's to get some supplies for that VTee project I mentioned and struck up a conversation with a lady in the Yarn/thread isle. Turned out she was matching thread to finish HER Conference project. Then another lady there asked us for our opinion on color and mentioned she need something to do for 4 hours the next day... In all, I met 3 other people getting supplies for Conference! Isn't that great?

Sunday Melissa invited me over to watch conference at her house. I wasn't sure I could be there early enough to watch the morning session with them (9am is EARLY and she lives more than 1/2 an hour away), but then she mentioned Cinnamon Rolls.... yup, I was there in the morning!

Its always fun to see Melissa and Dan and have someone to respond to comments like "He's my favorite!", "That was a powerful talk", "I don't like this story either, it's way too sad!", etc.

When I got home Sunday night, I wanted to make rolls. Unfortunately I didn't have any milk, but with a little help from my mother, I figured out how to use powdered milk. I decided to try out a new yeast biscuit recipe and cut the shapes for Easter rather than boring circles. I think they turned out nice.
Don't be fooled by the cute shapes. I think I still messed up with the powdered milk cuz they don't taste that great and I can only eat them with butter and jam.

As many of u know, I usually like my bread NAKED. :-)

All in all, a very productive weekend.

13 comments:

Eliza said...

Wow, talent and a profit. Good for you!

How fun to meet other 4 hour yarn buddies!

The rolls are cute and look yummy. P.S. I ALWAYS have milk in the fridge you can borrow.

Sarah Jarvis said...

I love your crocheting! I am sad Max shoes dont fit anymore but his feet have always been huge. Thanks again,though.
Even though you can't sell your stuff for what it is worth at least you have one hobby you CAN sell. I doubt anyone would pay a cent for my old stinky running shoes or my worn-out, see-through swim suit.
When is your next race?

Unknown said...

Yay! I always crochet during conference too. I usually just do something simple like dcs or a pattern off the paper on the yarn.
This time I looked up a pattern under "intermediate" and learned how to do bobbles! how fun are bobbles!!?!
The pattern I was working on during Saturday's conference needed two other colors, which I didn't have (discovered on Sunday), so I started on the bobble one on Sunday, and I've been working on it every night and when I watch movies with Dave.

Chelsea said...

You should call that lady back and tell her the price is one MILLION dollars. Mwoo ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Although she might not have a million dollars, in which case she might not feel so strongly about buying your afghan.
Maybe you should listen to someone else for pricing thoughts.

Bethanie said...

Aren't you glad that you did send things into the fair? When I was talking to you on friday you were kinda stressed. Glad that everything worked out. You can tell the phone lady that she can buy the baby afghan if you win a HUGE blue ribbon. That way you might be able to let it go.

Montana at the Helm said...

That is so awesome that some random person is requesting your baby blanket. That is quite flattering! Way to go!!!

Melisa said...

Melanie! Hello! So good to *see* you! Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it. My mom is a super tough lady and has the best attitude so I think things will be okay. I'm still just wrapping my head around everything. Even though I've known for a while, it still isn't setting in. ;o)

Jamie Pearson said...

Oh man those rolls look great. Jesse made biscuits last time he was home and used a cookie cutter but he was not as creative as you and just chose a round one. I told him next time he should use the fun shapes. I love cookie cutters!

helmhq said...

So very pretty and pink--it ALMOST makes me wish I had a baby to put it in! What a fun way to do biscuits. Maybe you can help make meals more fun while you're here this weekend. We can hardly wait!

Shawna said...

That is so cool! Now maybe you can not stress out if layoffs at work come around again, you have a backup career.

I need to find a conference project, instead I'm usually snacking or coloring with my daughter. I need to be more productive like you :)

About the biscuits...
I thought I was a genius when I started making square biscuits because you don't have to re-roll the scraps (making the biscuits tougher). But you have sent it to another level with your Easter biscuits!

evil social worker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily Nice said...

good job melanie! Sorry I didn't see this posted earlier so I could comment. I find that when using pwd milk use twice as much because it makes them sweeter. yes i'm a know it all, but my biscutes have never been that cute.

your crocheting is very cute.

WARNERS said...

Yummy, beautiful biscuits! The crocheting is beautiful! I might be growing something to fit some booties, sometime in Nov. :)