Thursday, April 23, 2009

"Trek Preperation", or "My New Obsession"

Last weekend while at Walmart I remembered I needed an outfit for the YM/YW Pioneer Trek this next weekend. I had totally forgot. Granted, its not gonna be much of a trek (camp one night, walk 11 miles the next day, go home), but they want everyone to dress the part. All I really needed was a bonnet since I had forgotten to borrow one from Los Alamos and I could scrounge around my closet for a long sleeved blouse and full skirt or jumper.

I looked at a bunch of patterns at Walmart for bonnet ideas(Mom's suggestion... she is so smart!) and decided I wanted to make a skirt as well. I shore love the $1.50 a yard shelf Walmart!

So guess what I've been doing all last weekend and every night 'till Midnight this week? Sewing a whole pioneer outfit! I guess I'm a little crazy. I've probably unpicked/ripped every seam at least once. That's what engineers do.. they just go for it, which makes for lots of mistakes. I'd forgotten how LONG sewing takes (especially when ur not good at it).

I've done a lot of research on the Internet for what pioneers really wore. Truth be told, most of my outfit isn't that authentic, but I'll explain as I go.

My front room is a mess with patterns, material, and clothes strewn about, but I thought I would take a couple pictures of everything I've attempted.

Trial Bonnet - this was scraps of material given to me from the YW leaders. Of course they gave me yellow!I figure having an extra bonnet will be a good thing one way or another, but I don't like the back.. I cut it too big.

This is the bottom of the dress I made. I followed an old pattern I had for a costume dress. (one of the 2 patterns I own :-))

Since I had planned on only doing a skirt, I ran out of the blue material so the back panel is Yellow. And then the yellow ended up not being long enough (I had to double it cuz it was pretty see through) so there's a panel of blue at the neck. Looks pretty silly but I'll just match the girls and their crazy bright skirts. The dress is a fitted bodice with princess seams and flairs starting at the waist. Pioneers actually gathered panels around at the waist to get volume in their skirts. Makes sense cuz you don't waste as much material as cutting flares, but I don't like that bulk at my waist so I used this pattern. Also the bodice usually has buttons up the front so my dress isn't that authentic with it's square neck (to go over my square head). I didn't take a picture of the final dress... U'll see it when I bring back pictures from our Trek.

For an apron, I started making a yellow one with a bib but after looking online, those aprons are for little girls.
So I found some pretty dark blue material in the dollar a yard bin with cutwork lace along the bottom to make an apron. It looks really good and I'm pretty proud of it. I even put on a pocket (I learned how on-line).

I remember Jenny saying the worst thing on Trek was the dirt that got into all ur creases under ur skirt and chaffed. (Yes, her Trek was 4 times as long as this one, but I want to be comfortable!) I knew I could wear pajama bottoms underneath but I wanted something not so heavy and hot and something I wouldn't mind ruining!

So I tried bloomers. I ended up cutting out 2 pants/bloomers... the first ones didn't work so I tried again. I sewed, ripped and resewed all Tuesday evening on those two pairs (the first ones ended up being way too small) but I still wasn't happy with them. Wednesday I called Mom and she knew exactly what I had done wrong and told me how it should be done. Shoulda called earlier, eh? Unfortunately, I've run out of time and material so I'll probably end up using pajama bottoms (I found a pair of cotton ones I'd forgotten about).

I then did my final Bonnet.

The back was still too big, but I put two pleats in it and it looks nice. I liked the stripes in this material so I used it even thought its that stiff stuff rather than authentic cotton.

I wanted to try a petticoat, although I needed the gathers to start pretty low so they wouldn't show through the dress. Authentic ones were all gathered at the waist (YUCK.. I don't like bulk!).
So I decided to do 4 flounces. Tonight I will sew the final bottom flounce and then I'll be done. As you can see, the seams are not even at all, but I figure nobody will see under my dress. I'll hem the bottom as even as I have patience. When I tried it on last night under the dress, I was surprised at how well it filled it out. Now after looking online I'd kinda like to try a corded petticoat!

Melissa asked me if I was stressed about the whole thing. It hasn't been stressful, its been fun! I guess I've just gotten tired of crocheting for a little bit and needed something else to obsess about. Crocheting those blessing dresses reminded me how much I like to try new things. And this certainly has been a learning experience!

10 comments:

helmhq said...

Every thing looks pretty. I hope the trek is as fun as the sewing. I'm glad you have a creative outlet like sewing or all the other fun things you do.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

If anyone tries to look under your skirt you should karate chop them. Joyce can help you if you need any, but I doubt it.

Looks like you will have so much fun and win best dressed as well. :)

Jamie Pearson said...

wow you are so creative. I can't believe how you just jump into things without really knowing what to do I love it. Oh I thought of you and Melissa when i went on a bike ride today=) I have a triathlon on Sat. Wish me luck

Chelsea said...

Hmmm... from the title I thought this post would be about the upcoming Star Trek movie. I guess I'm a little relieved that it's a different kind of Trek obsession. :) I'll wait for the dollar theatre on that one....

Bethanie said...

I really like the way the second bonnet looks. Holy cow you took on a lot to do. I hope that you have a good time at trek and yah, win the best dressed award.

Montana at the Helm said...

Wow, it seems like an awful lot of work! But if you are enjoying it than thumbs up to you! Don't forget to get a picture with you all decked out!

Emily Nice said...

AHHHHHHHHHH
I saw your bloomers.
AHHHHHHHHHH!

Cute bonnett.

Neita and Nate said...

Hey start sewing for Bailey, Wyatt and Nathan as they are going to Martin's Cove this July!! I'm not as cool as you...I hit the DI for some cool finds.

Eliza said...

Awesome! You are inspiring.

txparkinsons said...

i LOVE your stripped bonnet!