Monday, July 20, 2009

All Prepared

On Saturday our ward did 72 hour emergency food kits in milk jugs (I'm holding the flap down).

I didn't seal mine all up because... well... I didn't feel like it :-). Actually, I really didn't know what the purpose was of taping it all up. If it was an emergency, wouldn't u want to get into it quick like?

I thought it was pretty cool that they used the little microwavable cans of stew, lasagna or spaghetti instead of the normal dried meats. Sister Robinson thinks jerky is nasty and since she was in charge.... They had those tiny one can stoves you could buy to go with ur kit but I didn't realize they were extra and so hadn't order any. Oh well, I have propane at home.

When I got home with my loot, I got to thinking. Didn't we do something similar in the singles ward some 3 yrs back or so? I looked in my cupboard...

Hmm... do you think it's still good after 3 years? The new ones we made are supposed 2 last 'bout 6 months to a year (Elizabeth said ur supposed rotate every year at General Conference. Right, I knew that cuz that's a smart thing to do). I meant to bring one of the old oatmeal packets to work today to try it out but forgot.

One way or another, I'm set.

PS. If u look REAL CLOSE, that first bag has the name "Melissa" on it. You want ur 72 hour kit back Melissa? I'm sure the beef jerky is still good :-).

PPS. Melanie Dark Lord Smart Helm. Duh.

8 comments:

Sarah Jarvis said...

Good job being prepared. I don't think that, in an Emergency, you would mind that things are a little old. But it is good to know where it is at. Just in case. I am not so good when it comes to being prepared. Oops.

Melissa Bunn said...

When an emergency arises I know I can hunt you down for the beef jerky...hahaha. Way to get a 72 hour kit together. I need to put a couple together.

Emily Nice said...

Those are kind of fun. I should probably put something together... i do have the car kit that Jenny gave me. If you don't like jerky I'll eat yours even if its old. yum

Bethanie said...

I don't have a 72 hour kit. Just I will just have to be a Robin Hood. But I do have my computer work backed up. That's something right?

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous that you got to go home for the 4th-I love that little parade and carnival, it's the best I think. Good job having your 72 hr. kit together, I bet the stuff is still good after 3 years, ours lasted 2 years and then we ate them because we moved.

helmhq said...

All Dad is concerned about is do you have enough to get home in an emergency? So, if what you have is adequate for that you're doing more than OK----You Are Great!

Eliza said...

I saved and donated lots of milk jugs for the cause. I'm glad you were able to make one. I guess I'll get the directions and make one when I get home.

txparkinsons said...

how about 6 yrs for a canned 72 hr kit? ick! i'll check at the next general conference ... it'll probably look more like a science experiment ... maybe we can use it for school!