Free ride to visit my sister? 12 hours of a captive (and I use that term literally) audience? Sign me up sister. Poor Melissa didn't know what she was getting herself into.
Of course I realize I was the second choice traveling companion, but I've accepted that fact and take what I can git.
And it shore made the ride much faster and funner. A talking human is always better than a cheese eating bird.
Yes, that was one of the many great truths I learned this weekend.
Here is the rest, in chronological order.
ahem.
ONE
Never, never, EVER, in ANY circumstance is it a good idea to run a marathon.
Oh sure, you could do it... but just wait until ur body catches up with what u have done.
LIQUID!! I NEED LIQUID!Luckily for Julie Metge there were kind doctors there with an IV, two bags of saline, and instructions to ingest 32 ounces of liquid in the next hour.
Emily and I decided we like to watch the middle of Marathons, not the end with people collapsing or being treated for blisters and such. (BTW, she is doing fine. Its amazing how quickly your body can recover one it gets the hydrated again)
TWO
Never spend 15 minutes pushing random buttons trying to change the shutter speed on your camera. It won't work, 
And you'll delete all the pictures you took the day before.
THREE
Snow melt water is COLD.
I stood on rocks whenever possible.
Of course, Thorpe loved it.
And boy was it ever packed! Apparently Pioneer Weekend is not a good day to go up the canyon.
On a positive note, with the crowds came snowcones.
Even Thorpe got one.
And we got to look at spider webs on the way over to the shack.
FOUR
Hiking in a wheelchair is kinda hard! But not for the wheelchair bound.
Though the rewards are pretty great. If you can believe it, the water here was EVEN COLDER than Bridal Veil Falls!
(a bridge and an old beaver pond)
All the things you need for a hike. Socks, pan pipes (Snake grass), and a long piece of grass.
FIVE
Never let a dog revert. He will roll violently in fresh horse Poop to keep his prey from smelling him.
Then you will have to bring out the shampoo and soap (which Angela just happened to have in the car since she is on her way back to NM from school) .
First a wash of the vest,
the dog,
And a shake,
And a wash again.
Stinky doggy!
You will end up pretty muddy and wet.
And have a poor tired doggy on ur hands.
The END
PS. Afterwards Thorpe still didn't smell very good so Emily rubbed mint on him. When we went out to eat that evening, we asked to be seated on the patio. :-)
11 comments:
Wow sounds like you learned a lot this weekend. I'm sad I wasn't there to hang out.
Great learnings! Poor Thorpe, he probably liked that lovely smell of manure you so painstakingly cleaned off.
Thank you Melanie for the fantabulous weekend with you!! We should do it more often!
WV- crowds-something to avoid I think.
Sorry about deleting of pictures, that is never fun. kudos for Emily for thinking of rubbing him down with mint.
I think Thorp liked the attention and instead of mint you should have rubbed lavender it is a better cover-up of poop smells. Not that I know anything about that.
What about half marathons???
It looked like you had so much fun even with all the learning experiences. I learned one this weekend too. Do fall down with lens filters in your pocket. They leave round bruises. Not pretty.
If you like hiking we will have to try a few this fall okay?
what have i learned? coming home is depressing after being away for a month ...
i don't think i'll go on another cruise.
yer blog makes me miss you -- i might stop reading it ...
sad about the pictures cause I'm sure there was a cute one of me somewhere. It was a fun weekend. Sorry for tiring you out but at least we got snow cones and played bocci and ate good food. AND GOT TO SPEND TIME TOGETHER!
So sorry we missed out on all the learning experiences. I did feel almost like I got to see you. I slept in your bed!
Thanks for driving up with me and keeping me company. It was very nice of you and Emily to cheer my Mom on too. She really appreciated the support!
Wow! You are so full of knowledge.
Glad you had fun!
Post a Comment