All done.OK, so there was some other stuff to see, but since they don't let u go up near them.... At least I can cross that off my list of things I've done :-). Actually, did u know originally the artist was going to do more of their bodies? They ran out of money because of the war.
Along the way, there were pillars with each of the states listed on them. Angela and I posed by NEW MEXICO.
Yup, this is the day we wore our shirts. Tell Emily they are AWESOME!
I am poking him on his cheek.Natalie, Andrew, and Hannah wanted their picture taken.
And so did Melina.
There's Emily and Mom. Doesn't Mom look like she's been added to the line up?
Then there were the obligatory family photos... Man those are cool shirts!Neita, Zane, Anneliese, Melina, Wyatt, Bailey, Joel, Nathan
Alec, Megan, Jacob, Tom, Carly, Jenny, Sarah
Dad of course wouldn't get up there... Hi Gage!
We saw all there was to see in the visitors place...

And then hiked around to see the original headquarters and studio... (Natalie, Jacob, Me, Hannah, Andrew, Dad)

Tough hiking makes u thirst!
We stopped for a quick lunch at a picnic area (I was helping Aaron with the sandwiches (bossy older sister) and whining about the lack of water so I didn't get any pictures). There had been a bit of a mix-up on the lunches for Tuesday and Wednesday but it all turned out OK. The sandwiches and vegetables were delicious and I think everyone got there fill. Good job Aaron!Then we headed to Crazy Horse. Everyone was a little tired and cranky, but I was glad we got to see it. Apparently the Indians wanted something like Mt. Rushmore since really the Black Hills were theirs, so they got this artist to start another statue some 50 years ago. Cuz they won't take any help from the government, in all this time they have gotten the head done and most of the excess mesa blown away. The guy that started it has passed away and his kids and wife are carrying on. *Update* Emily told me I forgot to mention that all of Mt. Rushmore would fit into his head. This is going to be a MUCH bigger statue.
Here's a couple of pictures of what it's going to look like.
(thank you Sarah and Jacob)
Here's a couple of pictures of what it's going to look like.
(thank you Sarah and Jacob)
Here's my cute Mom and Dad posing. Smile Dad!
But this was my favorite part... both my brothers carting around sleeping little boys.

Next Installment: Singing!
7 comments:
good job melanie. I'm glad i had you take a couple of those photos. we should've gotten all of us together to have at least one photo taken there. oh well. you didn't say anything about how crazy horse's is like way huger then all the heads put together.
What a geat Idea to have matching shirts. You could spot one of your group in a crowd. Send the family reunion inspirations my way what worked what didn't ours is in Sept.
You guys are too funny. I do like the shirts good job Emmy. And I can't imagine having all the Helms in one visitors center that must have been crowded =) but fun
I love the shirts. Ever since I joined the Jarvis Family, they don't do shirts anymore. Maybe I will have to take charge. I need to talk to Em, she did a great job! You guys did a lot! We just sat around and talked and let the kids play! :-)
Again fun pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.
Awesome shirts. I never knew about Crazy Horse, thanks for the info.
how much do i owe emily?
Post a Comment