Friday, July 10, 2009

The Last Day - Family Reunion Part 6

Mom made yummy nummy breakfast burritos while families packed their cars. Emily wanted a family photo in our shirts since at the last reunion we never got around to it. So we gathered everyone in front of the main cabin... Umm.. who's gonna shoot the picture? Tom took some, then Amy and I took some..

Here we are in all our glory! (Except me and Amy)Aaron tried to do one on a timer on his camera, but if it worked he hasn't shared (Aaron?).

Then we did the grand kids,The grand kids with Grandad and Grandma,Then the siblings and spouses. Since I didn't have a spouse I didn't think I'd need to be in this picture but was soon disabused of this notion.Then we took pictures of each family.... I didn't get them all for some reason with my camera (hopefully others will share) so I will put up Emily (cuz she's so stinkin' cute):And Angela (cuz she didn't want a picture taken):Where is the picture of my family you ask? Um... well, for some reason I never got a picture of myself. I'm hoping other family members did and will share.

Then everyone left.... SAD.

A moment of silence.

Sh.. I'm still sad.

Sigh.

I'll get over it eventually I suppose.

Sigh.

Not today though.

Sigh.

Those of us going to NM (Parents, Me, Emily, Aaron) cleaned and finished packing. Mom and Dad wanted to see the BIG HOLE since they didn't go to the visitors center with us the day before.I didn't take a good picture of the "big cut" (its just the first big hole they made to get gold. The rest of the mine is underground and was operating until around 2003 when it became more expensive to mine the gold than it was worth. Now the work they are doing there is just cleanup.) cuz I like to have people in my pictures and they wouldn't let Aaron hop the fence :-).

The visitor center had fun things in front to play with... Emily is working HARD on that rock.It was raining so Dad, Mom and Aaron took shelter in a little mining cart. Then it was off to New Mexico for the 4th of July. Look at this weather we hit! That is hail piled up on the side of the road (Dad, Mom and Aaron are in the suburu ahead of us). When we first went through it, we slowed way down and had to turn our flashers on cuz Emily was afraid someone would hit us from behind.

BTW, if any of u are interested in learning to pan for gold, Emily got a cool book with the 9 secrets of how to do it. Do you think they would let us pan in Deer Creek? I'm sure there's gold there!

10 comments:

Emily Nice said...

Did you find the book in your car? It didn't make it to Utah with me so I hope I didn't loose it! I will look up places we can pan for gold around here or vegas when I come visit. Thanks for letting me ride in your car and good job on the documentation of the family reunion!

Sorry I don't have a camera otherwise I'm sure there would be more pictures with you in them.

Melisa said...

That is a crazy storm! Are you sure it was in July!? ;o)

Montana at the Helm said...

Sorry that I didn't comment on all the reunion blogs you posted, but they are all special! You are an awesome blogger. I am too lazy to post all my pictures.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Wow Melanie, how much fun you had. So glad. And Emily is stinking cute and nice also. And I am glad your family disabused of the notion that you didn't have to be in the picture. I am coming home on Monday. I think I am almost ready. Not for the heat, but to be back in my own house. It feels like I have been gone forever.

Unknown said...

Looks like you had lots of fun! So glad that you got home safely with the weather. I've always wanted to go to Mt. Rushmore (did I spell that right?). But it seems kind of out of the way of anywhere that I am ever going. Someday I'm going to take a cross-country road trip so I can check everything out, maybe I will add this stop to my list.

helmhq said...

Great blogging, but of course I love hearing about my family!! You got some really great photo's.
It was fun to have you and Emily come home with us. It would have been way too much withdrawal for me to handle with all the family gone at once and the 4th with so few. And thanks for driving home alone. Even though it was lonely that extra time with Emily helped me ease into regular life.

Barbaloot said...

I'm seriuosly jealous of the shirts. My family thinks they're too cool to do that...which only means we not nearly cool enough!

Bethanie said...

What?!? A book about panning for Gold? I'm soo there! Except that I think I will spend most of the time playing in the water... you know like I do when I should be fishing.

Dennis and Diana said...

Is New Mexico really that green? I think I need a vacation there I have never been. I really enjoyed your FR blogs. Was there a neew green shirt for every day? or just when you were picture taking.

txparkinsons said...

can i pan for gold in texas?

i drove angela's car through the rain while alec was behind me driving the suburban ... i passed a pickup and couldn't see anything for a while. you know what angela and i did? laughed!