Wednesday, August 5, 2009

No Brilliance Here

Bethanie wrote a post about being brilliant in the cooking department.

Well... all I ever claimed was smart, but that might be a bit of a hard sell after this post.

This is what happens when you try and make rice crispy treats with old, hard marshmallows. No matter how much I stirred and added water, it just wasn't happening.

Mom said all old, hard marshmallows are good for is hot chocolate.

Too bad there isn't really a good time for hot chocolate here in Vegas except when sitting in the ice box they call the office (it is always SO COLD there! All the girls have sweaters and Akiko even has a Hello Kitty blanket she wraps herself in).

I did make some killer rice crispy treats from newer marshmallows but didn't take a picture because after spending so much time on that glop, I was in a rush to get them done. I smooshed them into whatever cookie cutters I had that would work. A star (Christmas), a bunny and a flower (Easter), a pumpkin (Halloween), and a heart (valentines Day). I did quite a few hearts at the end cuz it was big, quick, and easy. I think they were a big hit at Melissa's house Saterday night where I had been invited to play Aquire.

On the way back from Melissa's, I gave into hours spent price matching, coveting, waiting to receive as a present, and bought a toaster oven. Here it is, full of beans (that eventually burned and I had to throw away).I was pretty proud of myself for using both my toaster oven AND my skillet Sunday night. It was fast Sunday and I was hungry... even though I actually did this after I had already broken my fast and eaten dinner. Perhaps that's why the beans burned. Why do I always feel like cooking around 8 or 9pm?

OK, so really they burned because after soaking, I put them straight into the oven. For some reason I thought 10 hours in a crockpot would be similar to 2 hours in an oven. Sike!

After 3 hours in the oven they were still crunchy and a little black. It was pretty late, so I took them out and put them in the crockpot with what I thought was enough water to finish cooking over night. In the morning my house STUNK and I had to throw the whole mess out.

Brilliant.

As for the electric skillet, I substituted soy sauce for salt in a vegetable casserole using a cream of soup as it's base. Don't do it... even if the recipe is titled "Oriental vegetables".

Just Brilliant.

7 comments:

Gage said...

yuck!

Melissa Bunn said...

That's a nice looking toaster oven! Thanks for bringing the rice crispy treats, they were yummy! I alway mess up on rice crispy treats (don't ask, I know it's supposed to be easy) so I was impressed yours tasted so good!

Bethanie said...

I'm sorry about your beans, dude! (Spoken in true Skippy John Jones fashion).

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Congrats on your new purchase and condolunces on the beans. Didn't you go to the fabulous bean class. I didn't cause I was out of town and now my family will all die when the emergency comes.

Emily Nice said...

i think adding water to the marshmalllows was probably not a good idea...

I'm sorry that your beans didn't work out. Way to cook outside! but look like you need a bigger cooking space, I think you have some extra craft tables from the fair that you could use....

I love your toaster oven, so maybe you should move to Utah and I can use it. I just want a hot plate now for my outdoor kitchen. Well also an eating table, and maybe some chairs, oh and a sink!

Unknown said...

I didn't know that old marshmallows couldn't be put in rice krispies. That's good information that I should file away in my brain because I'm sure that I'll need it at some point in my life. But then I won't be able to retrieve it until I've already messed my rice krispies up. We don't usually have old marshmallows though, everybody here thinks they are the best thing ever except me.

annie valentine said...

This sounds a little like Martha Stewart in an auto mechanic's shop. Nice.