Friday, November 7, 2008

Eye To Eye

Can I just say I have amazing blog commenters? EVERY single reader of my blog commented! And one or two non readers too. Its been a proud moment. But not too proud of course. I learned in Sunday School the other month to used pleased instead of proud so no one gets the wrong impression (I'm not prideful.. or prejudice). Its been a pleased moment!

And.. now that I am pleased of u, I will tell u how u can be pleased of me! Just to help u to be even more pleased, I will give u some background. I am afraid of doctors. Any kind of doctor. General, dentist, eye, plastic, witch. You name it, I'm afraid. OK.. that's the end of the background.

I went to the eye doctor today and got contacts! I am currently wearing them even though I took a nap afterwards (mostly cuz I'm afraid to try and get them out...I'll probably never get them back in again). Don't worry, Dr. Steed told me I only had to take these out at least once a week.

I never knew it was so easy. First, they do the normal checkup where he numbs your eye to look at it. He throws a couple contacts in your eyes and ask you how they feel (weird.. my eye is numb), you watch a little video of computer generated people putting their contacts in effortlessly (HELLO! they are computer generated.. like that's helpful), you go out to the front so u can take them out and put them back in again while everybody points and laughs (I suppose they assume that if you can do it there, you can do it anywhere), they charge you 70 bucks for their viewing pleasure and send you over to pay the receptionist. Simple as ... making a cake out of a box!

And then when your credit card is denied and you have to pay with a check, the nice receptionist takes your check, looks at your ID, writes something on the check and then hands it back to you.
"Is there something else?" I ask.
"Yes, I need your thumbprint."
"What?" And as my eyes adjust from focusing on my check to the little black box she is holding out, I see it is a stamp pad.
"You are serious!" I exclaim.
"Yup", she responds as I stick my thumb in the ink and press it down on the check. "Ever since the DA told us we have to. We do it to everyone." She hands me a tiny towelette in a tiny packet to wipe the stuff off my thumb(must not be ink since it came right off).

I have now been THUMB PRINTED! Now I can relate to those criminals I watch getting booked on "Law and Order".

PS.. I'm going swimming tonight to try these things out... I'll let u know how it goes.

Added Later: I totally forgot to direct you to my sisters hilarious post (although it might be too close to home to be REALLY funny :-)). Especially all u SAHM's (whats really sad is that I can relate and I don't have children!).

9 comments:

Emily Nice said...

YAY! I'm so proud of you, Contacts aren't as nice as having your eyes lazored, but they are so liberating! Hope your swim went well, and did I mention I'm proud of you!

Heidi said...

I'm still curious about the thumbprint thing. Why do they have to have it? Was it because you wrote a check? (After watching Law and Order)- Don't they have to have a warrant to require such a thing? :)

helmhq said...

Excited for you about the contacts. Dad and I are contact drop-outs so we can be "proud". Question--can you see better?

We have to give our thumb print every time we buy something at Ballios in Santa Fe and have been for years so welcome to the reality of identity theft.

Shawna said...

Doctors are scary. Some are less scary when you know them, like your eye Dr. Some I would never go to one I knew, like well you know. Glad you went and maybe now the buoys will leave you alone.

Bethanie said...

As I said yesterday on the phone, I am so jealous of your eyes. But after telling me how much you likes my blog I guess I will still let you call me. HE HE!

txparkinsons said...

yeah for contacts!

i also have been officially fingerprinted - mine was all electronic - but now i can no longer live the life of crime i had planned on ....

txparkinsons said...

i want on mandy's blog!

Jared said...

As a 'doctor', I understand the fear you have. Amy often tells me she doesn't know what I am talking about!

Dr. Helm

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Yay for you!