Monday, November 3, 2008

Things I learned this Halloween

1. You cannot leave 4 hours to sew a costume and expect to get a laced up dress with a bustle to go along with the (very cute.. if I do say so myself) bloomers and hat.

2. Do not sew lace over elastic. it makes the elastic stiff rather than stretchy and your poor hat becomes 3 times as big as ur head.

3. Pink makes me look fat. The sash I put on to hide the seams sure didn't help. At least my bloomers were WAY CUTE!

4. Elastic around the waistband of bloomers is much quicker than sewing a drawstring, but then you have to keep hitching them up throughout the evening. (at least they are cute)

5. Even though the slicky material from Walmart is only 1$ a yard... its still hard to sew with and doesn't make a good jumper!! (probably would be fine for a skirt though)

6. Giving out 3 big 5lb bags of candy over the course of 1.5hrs to children you don't know but are starting to look familiar as they make the rounds of the trunk or treat 4 or 5 times gets pretty old very quickly.

7. When going to a trunk or treat.. park next to another car, otherwise you sit all alone with no one to talk too... and it gets kinda boring.

8. Some people don't even know who Little Bo Peep is! (That's why I put the poem up on my car)

9. People don't recognize white ovals cut out from construction paper hanging from a string by your car as sheep's tails. Perhaps if I had used felt?

10. Leaving early from a trunk or treat (only 20 minutes!!!) makes little children going by look at you with very sad eyes, especially when you say you are out of candy. Then you might feel a little guilty cuz you still really do have 1 bag of the GOOD kind of candy but don't want to share! But don't worry, the guilt won't be enough to change your behavior.

10. Sewing shore makes a mess of your living room. Isn't that why I have a craft room?!?! Oh yes.. that room had lesson handout mess all over it. (If you look closely, you can see the jumpers on the right I used for a pattern, the black pants on the left I used for a pattern, on the top right the serving bowl I used for the hat pattern, above the pants the net and material I never used for the bustle... and in front, the shirt and jeans I took off to try the whole thing on.... oh yes, and the sash I threw into the living room.)

11. Playing games with Melissa and Dan and Melissa's parents is WAY FUN!

10 comments:

Montana at the Helm said...

Wow! What would we do without Melanie to put a smile on our faces. You crack me up. I am impressed with your outfit especially since I can't sew and seeing you just throw these things together.

We didn't get any trick or treaters. It made us sad. You should have all those kids our way.

Montana at the Helm said...

sent

(the word I forgot to type in after "have")

Bethanie said...

Melanie I think it ended up pretty cute. I feel like Anne of Green gables. If people had any sense of an imagination they could have guessed that they were sheep tails. FOR goodness sakes people!

Anonymous said...

Looked pretty good for such a short time, and besides costumes are a suggestion of what it represents! ---And, what is the world coming to if people don't know their nursery rhymes. Will we loose our culture?

The Crash Test Dummy said...

You are seriously, so funny. And I am seriously, so honored to be on your short list of blog stalks with all those other AMAZING bloggers.

I'm not worthy!

Eliza said...

LOVE your costume. You are so creative and talented! Great job!

Emily Nice said...

i still think my costume is better, mostly because i didn't have to stress about it, and i had a cape. Maybe if you had a cape then yours would've been as cool as mine :)

you did awesome! shaosess!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Ha Ha, I didn't even appreciate all of your amazingness from making your costume that day. I wish I would have parked by you, but then I kept walking around and you would have been alone still. You have got some serious skills girl.

Shawna said...

I loved it! You are so awesome! I'm a firm believer that the creative process is messy. =)

WARNERS said...

you are hilarious! I read the list to Mitch while he was painting and we both got a good chuckle out of it. Our typical evening: Kids are asleep; Mandy's blogging, Mitch is painting or reading. The costume is so cute and very creative.