Arvid has left for the day (I'm just guessing but his light is off and computer is gone) so I have been packing up my desk for the big move in 2 weeks. This is what comes of not asking Arvid if he had a new assignment for me before he left. Nobody I've talked to knew he was leaving. Those even-tempered Norwegians... they don't get excited so you don't know anything exciting is happening! Of course... maybe he doesn't think whatever he is doing is exciting. Mm... Hello!! Not being at work is pretty exciting! I'll tell him when he comes back.
On to more exciting things. Its taking quite a while to pack. When your filing system is LARGE piles of related project papers and drawings on shelves which have spilled out all around ur desk and the floor (Marcia is scared to enter my cubicle)... it takes a while. My garbage pile is about as tall as my chair. Good thing Jacobs is renting 2 industrial sized dumpsters. I must love killing trees. Who knew?
As I have been packing (and now taking a little break), I realized I really don't have many personal items here. No pictures, no coffee cups, no cutesy calenders... I do have my metals from swimming at Corperate Challenge last year and a toy car they gave me at R2H Engineering for my birthday 2 yrs ago (I had told them I've always wanted a mobster car (PT cruiser) so I could put machine guns out the side windows and then stand up out of the skylight with my Tommy gun... I'd demonstrate by swinging my arms side to side.... ratta tat tat!) but that's it. I suppose I've never felt the need to fill my cubicle (other than with paper of course).
At home, I have pictures of my family and friends, drawings made by those same people, as well as puzzles, hats, and blankets hung all around on my walls. On my "walls" here (its a CUBICLE.. no walls), I have the phone list, office layout, sewer and PVC pipe sizes, rebar details, bridge layout, time sheet charge numbers, my sweater, a check for 0 dollars from Carter Burgess, and three long lines of stickers off of every piece of fruit I've eaten (mostly "Cutie" stickers.... I have 7 different kinds of those!).
How odd is that?
PS... Mandy, I was excited to get comments from you of course... just a little disappointed that instead of the 12 people I expected... only 3 people wanted to tell me how wonderful I am.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I assume this is the move to a new company location. I find it interesting that you haven't personalized your space. It has always seemed to me you have needed your "stuff" with you whenever you felt at all uncomfortable. Maybe you've become more comfortable there than you think!
hey we just moved too! well, we're kinda still in the process of moving. my stuff is still in boxes, and i have no clue where two of those are (which happen to be all my files). we moved buildings, now we're waiting while our furniture is being moved and set up. i don't have many personal things in my cubicle either. i just have post-it notes all over the border of my computer screens, a huge desk calendar and an excel table of my employees' schedules on the "walls". the only personal stuff is the stuff i bring with me every day: water bottle, keys, sunglasses, food. i should start a fruit sticker collage as well, maybe then i'd eat more fruit! my fav. is grapefruit, but that might be too messy for work.
Well let me just tell you, you are wonderful and smart also, can't forget that.
For me move is a four letter word and I am not allowed to say it or hear it or do it.
what is it with the comments? isn't it enough to just "know" we love you? as i was explaining to sarah why her parents are just kidding when they say they want to sell their children on ebay - parents love their children - it's just something that is ...
P.S. did you like the books you have listed as recently read??
I will send you something for your office.... maybe pictures of myself and those related to me. What could be more wonderful than that?
ps. this comment does not warrant a reply.
txparkinsons... apparently you already have validation in ur life. Hence.. no need for comments. Me... not so much.
Wait.. what was that about how wonderful I am?
nice practice, george fred
Your cubical sounds very interesting. I for one would love to see a picture of the fruit stickers! You crack me up, thanks for the laughs! Good luck moving...I think I break out in a rash when that word is used.
What? your moving?
Just another note to say how smart and wonderful you are!!
Post a Comment