Saturday, February 21, 2009

The demise of my poor alarm clock

This is the alarm clock I've had since... oh sometime in the 1800's. The original bright pink color can be seen if you turn it upside down and look at the underside. As you tip it back and forth, you can hear something that sounds like sand pouring through the electronics.

Poor clock. I haven't been able to set the alarm or change the station for years and it takes 20 minutes to set the clock because the buttons have become sqirly. But the other day when the lights flickered, the buttons gave up and would no longer respond, no matter how much I coaxed. I thought about waiting until midnight and plugging it in then, but I decided it was time. Time to move on.

I received this clock for my 13th or 14th birthday in preparation for going to Seminary. I very clearly recall the day as it was the first time I received only practical items as presents . Now I appreciate those type of presents, (presents=love, just FYI) but at the time it is a little disappointing. You feel grown-up but a part of you wishes you could go back to being a child and get a new doll or lego set. (My parents had also just finished building our first new house which probably had some bearing on the type of presents I received :-)

Now I have a boring five dollar clock from Walmart that doesn't even try to be spiffy, seeing how I'm not willing to shell out for anything grander.
Good bye old clock. We've been together 20 years, through high school, college, mission, more college, home, and Vegas. An era has passed.
And now I have a picture of you, something I never would have thought to do without my blog!

8 comments:

Bethanie said...

A sweet Ode to your Alarm Clock!
I now use my children as alarm clocks. take about expensive!

wv-calock. how fitting

Eliza said...

I'm glad that you shared your story (complete with pictures). I can't believe how long that alarm clock held on. They don't make things like they used to.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

What no dueling clock pictures? I'm so disappointed.

Neita and Nate said...

My alarm clock that I got as a teenager is still holding on. I don't use it as an alarm, but just for the time. The radio still works but sometimes it takes alot of coaxing to get it to turn off! I know how you feel. Nathan thinks it's a piece of junk, but who asked him!

Montana at the Helm said...

So strange...I left a comment, but its not here. Must have clicked on the wrong thing.

txparkinsons said...

i remember my first alarm clock - the numbers were individual on a wheel and clicked as they turned - for seminary i would find myself waking up to the different click it made as it was getting ready to turn on the actual alarm .... memories ....

wv-mulou -- waxing nostalgic about an old alarm clock

!!!!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your loss, but it looks like you are handling it okay. I too remember my first alarm clock, it was supposed to be white but when it died it was a little yellow. It didn't hold out for very long compared to yours.

Emily Nice said...

I remember both yours and Jenny's how funny is that? I still have my first alarm clock. Not all the buttons work any more, but the important parts work (the time and the cd player alarm).