Thursday, February 19, 2009

Exciting Biking Developements

I rode my bike on Saturday and DIDN'T FALL!!

This is quite the accomplishment. I've been very nervous about falling since Dan (Melissa's husband) put the clipless pedals on my bike (shown to the right). Melissa had me try them out at her house and I was doing well until I came up her driveway. It's pretty steep so I stalled out, panicked, couldn't remember how to get out, looked at Melissa, said "I'm gonna fall" and fell over. The panicked look on my face must have been priceless.

So.. then I practiced getting in and out around my neighborhood. It was hard because I was trying to remember to always get out at the bottom of my stroke because I thought that's how it was done. But when you are coming to a stop, that's the leg you have your weight on.

Discouraged, I came back to my house, up my driveway, had my left food out of the clip and promptly fell over to the right.

Its OK to fall over on your bike when you are 7 or 8, but definitely not when you are 32!

Needless to say, I have been very nervous to try it out again. I even dreamt that I went crying back to Melissa asking her to put my old pedals back on... Drama Drama Drama.

I decided I would just go to the library and back home again. That was it. Nowhere else. Just 10 mile round trip. You can do it!

It took me until 11am to finally get up the courage to head out. Melissa told me I should get out at the TOP of my stroke. This made it much easier, especially since I was usually clipped out about 200 feet from the stop light :-). There was no way I was going to fall over again.


There were tons of high school kids dressed up like Anime characters at the library (they were showing an Anime film there), so I didn't feel too out of place walking around in my fancy smancy bike shoes and outfit.

Coming back I felt so confident that I took the long way around.

A funny ending of this story would be if I had fallen coming up my driveway, but I DIDN'T! HA! After Melissa told me she clips out and walks up her driveway, I was clipped out before I even turned the corner. No funny ending here.

With my spandex pants, riding outfit, and clipless pedals, I'm quite the picture. Now if I could just get the body to match.

7 comments:

Bethanie said...

Whoa! Those shoes and no bike peddle thingy looks really fancy. I too need to be working on my hot body for the trip to come visit you.

Jared said...

should have moved the roadmaster out from behind the trek!
now if I could just get the bike!

txparkinsons said...

do you walk funny in your bike shoes?

Smart Helm said...

Bethy, u can come visit no matter how ur body looks, we're gonna fatten it up regardless with all the partying and eating we'll be doing!

No.. the roadmaster always stays BEHIND the trek.

I got mountain bike shoes cuz I didn't want to walk funny like Melissa does. She doesn't have any of the cleats on her shoes.

Montana at the Helm said...

Way to go Melanie! I admire your courage and enjoy laughing at your humorous experiences! You sure have a lot of them...he he!

Eliza said...

Way to keep trying. I'm sure you can use this life lesson on your Mia Maids somehow.

helmhq said...

Although I think we got to hear this story first!--we're still proud of you. New things always take a bit of adjusting, but now you can go faster and farther!
PS Bodies were meant to be healthy, not look some special way.