This of course, was at 8pm. Plenty of time to mix, let the dough rise and be pushed down, rolled out, rise again, and cooked before I go to bed at 10pm!
Ya right.
While the dough was supposed 2 be rising, I went running. When I came back an hour later it hadn't risen at all! I couldn't decide what to do. Put the dough in the fridge? Roll them out? Freeze something? So, I showered to give me more time to decide.
I decided to roll them out anyways. I had them on cookie sheets sitting on the warm oven by 10:30pm. Then it was off to bed after setting my alarm for 1:00am.
They had risen enough to cook by then. If I had been awake enough, I woulda probably pulled them out before the 30 minutes cooking time was up or turned the oven down. They got pretty brown. But I basted them with butter, ate 2, covered the rest and went back to bed. In the morning they weren't TOO hard so I put them in plastic bags to try and soften them a bit.
Lets just say they taste good with Jam.Lesson learned... don't start dough so late on a work night!
(This is a picture of only 1/3 of them. The rest were eaten pretty fast. Next lesson learned... HALVE recipes or you will end up eating WAY TOO MUCH!)
11 comments:
Very true about halfing recipes. I am learning that it is so much better to half a recipe then try to eat it all. Hey those looked good too.
These look so good! I love rolls and stuff, but I hate having to roll anything out.
of course they take longer when you are trying to hurry them along. Also you said that you used whole wheat. I find the if it is not a whole wheat recipy you have to change it a little to help it rise. Up the sugar and yeast a little and let the dough be a little softer by having more liquid. It just makes it so that you do not have to wait so long. They look good though.
They look way yummy! I learned, from the bakery, that you don't have to halve recipes. After you shape the rolls put them in the freezer. Then, the next time you want rolls you just have to raise them and cook. Wow. Now I'm craving rolls.
you're brave ... a little bit blond ... and brave ...
wv - raveoneg -- old ravioli?
Go you and your domestic skills. Do you have anything planned for Saturday night, because Eliza and I will be widows for the weekend and we might want to come over and have spa night with you. I call for details.
hmm, I'd do a triathalon except I don't really have a good bike for it, and I'm not a fan of swimming for exercise. I can do swimming for fun, but me and kicking don't get along.
I think i'll conquer the running thing first, then explore other ideas.
I have made the bread mistake many times myself. Frustrating! I don't think I would have woken up in the middle of the night to finish them though. You are committed.
Committed is probably the wrong word, crazy is more like it!
Everybody is afraid of the swimming part. The learning curve is way steep on that part and u can b ready 2 go in just a couple of months.
Spa night sounds GREAT! I'll probably have lots of Root Beer left from the YW taste testing so maybe we can do that too.
ah ha.. wheat is the problem. And I knew about freezing, I just didn't want to. My freezer is FULL of the other half of meals.
Then, when we finally get transporter technology working, you can just send me your leftovers. K?...Hey...that's the way to end global hunger. Transporter technology!
Your rolls look beautiful. Isn't it interesting how much more we learn when we actually do something. If you had been told not to start rolls that late it wouldn't mean much, but now you KNOW!
Post a Comment