Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas Eve

Installment 2 - Christmas eve.

I arrived home (New Mexico will always be home) late December 23rd after a frustrating morning of trying to find pretty wood to give to Dad for Christmas. I also had been up since 5am since who can sleep when you are about to drive home 10 hrs to spend Christmas with family?

So.... I had a WONDERFUL nights rest and was ready to prepare for Christmas. Christmas Eve is probably even more important than Christmas in my family.

List of Activities... in order of appearance.

1. This year we went shopping for Mom and Dad by wandering around the small shops in Los Alamos buying funny things and stopping at the hardware store (where they know my father by name) to get wood. I found a BUTTER CURLER for my mother's stocking!



Unfortunately, because of this Emily and I missed all the set up for the luminarias.
Sad... But Emily said it was OK cuz it means we would get to light more.
















2. The luminarias.
This is a wonderful tradition in New Mexico and the southwest.
We put sand and a little candle in a paper bag to light the Christ child to our home.
This year we did... well, I'm not sure (see number 1), but I think 10 dozen. (I tried to get a picture of it without my flash but as u can see it didn't quite work!)








3. Make dozens and dozens of cinnamon rolls for our Home Teachers, Home Teachee's, Visting Teachers, and Visting Teachees. For some reason, the number gets larger every year. I heard 7 dozen rolls bandied about. I'm sure we ended up making more like 9 or 10 dozen because we have to have some for ourselves! Mother also made bread in a pot this year to try and cut down on the cinnamon roll needs. (notice the laundry basket behind my mother filled with cinnamon rolls as well as the one she is carrying. She also has the ward list so we can figure out where these people live!)

4. Clam Chowder for dinner... with REAL oster saltine crackers. Ah.. memories of trying to get as many as you could into ur bowl without the wrath of nearby siblings falling on ur head.

5. Then it's off to go caroling. I LOVE caroling. I couldn't believe my oldest sister said in her blog that she dislikes it!! I LOVE IT! Remember the 7 dozen cinnamon rolls? This is when we give them out. It was sad this year with no small ones to go up to the door with the offering. Every year, we try to get out early so we can get home in a reasonable time, but it never works. At least this year we didn't add anyone to our caroling list. Some people only got cinnamon rolls or a bread in a pot with no singing. I don't think they missed it.

6. We open our new pajamas (that my mother had wrapped that afternoon),
a reading of Luke 2, and its off to bed. I did get Spree's stocking ready, Angela did Thorpes (her assistance dog), and Emily and I got all the nuts and candy ready to go in the stockings. We were trying to help the parents reduce the staying up time. Its just not the same with only 4 unmarried children at home.

Let me say... I do like silk pajamas. I never knew! I think they are going to be nice and cool during the hot summer.

8 comments:

Bethanie said...

makes me miss my family. I'm ready for Christmas so keep it coming

Kristina P. said...

I've never done luminaries, but I love the way they look.

And I have never gotten cinammon rolls as a gift. I wish I lived by you.

Shawna said...

I'm totally all about the bread in pots. There's a place called Jamms here that has a pot of bread. It's the cutest thing ever! Very nice Christmas. My parents never let us do the luminary thing, something about starting a fire and burning the pasture down, gezz you do it once and they never left you forget.
I love that you have a stocking for Spree. =)

Montana at the Helm said...

I agree that Christmas just isn't the same without kids! Sorry you have to do without this year, but next Christmas is just around the corner and we will be there. It sounds like you still had a great time even without us there.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Did you and Em have twinner pj's or was that just an ilusion in the picture. That would be fun if you did but still silk pajamas sound nice.

Emily Nice said...

Good job on the post, I think I will just link to it cause you did fine. It was a great Christmas even without kids! and I'm glad you've converted to teh silky side :)

Smart Helm said...

The whole fun of Luminarias (at least for my sister Emily) is the bonfire afterwards! Sometimes u get flame-outs but this is why it is done in the SNOW.

Emily and I didn't get the same PG's... u can see it better in the next post.

I can't wait for Family Reunion time this summer with all the kids running around!

helmhq said...

Thanks for documenting our Christmas. You did a great job. But---I didn't wrap the presents just before you opened them this time! I think it was a whole day before!!