Monday, October 27, 2008

Missing in Action

I have been MIA for a couple of days because the great and awful day of the test did come. Most of u already know the scoop, but I'll give a quick rundown for those of u who haven't called me to see how it went... ah hem..

I didn't sleep well the night of, and on my way out the door into the garage as I set my oatmeal precariously on top of the books I had borrowed from work to turn the handle, I thought to myself "I'm going to spill this oatmeal". And it came true. I had oatmeal all down my front, on the IBC code (I pried the pages apart during the test... really hope nobody notices here at work), and of course my purse. After throwing everything onto the counter, I leaned over the sink and stuck the front of my shirt under the water. Then I wiped down the books, took what I needed out of my purse (my planner), and took off. I had to stop at work on my way down to the testing center to make a copy of my ID to tape to the front of my seat card. (WHY!?!?! WHY!?!?! How strange is that? Couldn't they just check our IDs and be done with it? Why add one more thing for me to STRESS about? sigh.. turns out I coulda gotten it copied at the center for 25 cents). Of course, with all the trials of the morning, not only didn't I get breakfast, I also forgot my water bottle and snacks. Luckily for me, they had offered a free lunch (someone was sponsoring it this year) so I got water and food at noon.

Right, sorry... you want to hear about the actual test. I felt pretty confident about the morning session (4 hrs of 40 multiple guess questions from the 4... I mean 5 disciplines of Civil Engineering (they added construction management this year)), but the afternoon kicked my trash. Akiko and I (the Engineering Intern here from Japan who actually has 10 yrs experience in construction/structures engineering in Japan) decided we are going to pick a different specialty for the afternoon. Structures really is the hardest. It doesn't matter which one I do, I just have to pass the test to become a PE. Eventually I would like to take the test to become an SE (structural engineer) but that is a totally different matter. For now, I just need to pass this test.

So.. in 3 months I will find out how I really did... then I will study for the next 3 months (this time I'll know what to study, how to study, and I'll make Melissa study with me) and hopefully pass it in April. That's the plan.

I just want to thank Melissa again for letting me come soak in her Hot Tub after the long testing day. 8 hrs is just a little long! Melissa and I were wondering why it felt so good and relaxing... sitting in 100 degree air certainly doesn't do it. Dan told us (Doctors always know). He said it gets our blood going and cycling around our body carrying all the impurities out cuz its trying to cool us down. Kinda ruins a bit of the charm, huh?

5 comments:

Bethanie said...

I bet that you did better then you think! I'm sorry that you have to wait three months until you know how you did. I'm going to be anxious for you so you don't need to worry about that. I got you covered!

Shawna said...

I could not wait that long to find out the results, but I'm sure you did well. After all you middle name is Smart!

Unknown said...

I don't think any of the charm is ruined. Hot tubs are still amazing in my mind. I agree, you probably did much better than you think you did for sure. I know I always do. Even when i think i did awesome, I ended up doing AMAZING...that sort of thing.
You should have some hobby to keep your mind on these three months to make them pass quicker.
ps: the word verification for me is "dishfull"...is that referring to the oatmeal?

Emily Nice said...

Sorry about your oatmeal explosion. Seems that with the frequency of that occurance you might want to re-think your breakfast to go plans! I'm glad your test is over for now and you have 3 months to play until you have to start studying for April!

cropstar said...

Ah the dreaded PE! I feel your pain. Studying the 2nd time around was SO much easier. It's nice going in with an idea of what to expect. Did I ever tell you that I got a 69 the first time I took it. Yeah, that stunk.
Oh and the waiting is the worst. The good thing is that about a month before the results come you totally forget about it.
And man, the SE... I don't even want to think about that one. Greuling.

Well... now's your time to relax! Enjoy it!