Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Quick... I need some ideas.

The ward trunk-or-treat is coming up on Friday (Halloween.. surprise surprise) and I need a theme for decorating my new Forester's trunk! My middle name IS smart, so I need to make sure people remember that. (humble IS NOT my middle name.. that's why I made this text small and HUMBLE)

To get your creative juices going... I'll tell u what I did last year. I am usually a witch (cuz I have this WAY COOL hat with gold stars on the brim and a WAY COOL cape that I made... how often do u have the oportunity to wear a cape except on a walk late at night with ur sister where there are no streetlights? Um... not that I would ever do that of course... ) so last year Bethanie suggested I do the Wizard of Oz. I put my small fake Christmas trees in the back of the trunk (forest)... with candles on them, my crocheted monkey Horace (didn't find time to give him wings), one crocheted doll dressed with a blue apron and another crocheted doll with tinfoil wrapped around her, a stuffed lion, a small scarecrow, and yellow construction paper on the ground cut into brick shapes. See? I was smart enough to ask my creative sister for ideas.

This year I was thinking about Little-Bo-Peep cuz I have a couple sheep, but I'm having trouble going on from there. Might have to stick with the witch. I know I can always just do Jack-o-lanterns and other such halloween scary things.... but its more fun with a theme.

Any ideas yet? Here.. I'll send u some smart vibes.

OK.. while ur thinking, I'll show u what I did to my courtyard on Saturday. I'm pretty impressed with myself. I made 2 trips to Home Depot to pick up the blocks and dirt. It only took 17 bricks... I just put some of my big pretty rocks I've collected from Red Rock State Park on either side rather than more blocks. I'm debating on whether to make the raised garden go all the way to the walls on either side, or keep it stepped like this cuz I have some established plants already there on either side. Oh yes, and the dirt looks like it's mounded up in the midde, but its pretty flat from one side to the other. The dirt only really reaches the first level of the blocks, but laying only one course of bricks looked pretty silly (hence the second trip to Home Depot).
K.. let those ideas you've come up with flow into the comment box!

PS. My brother Jared is famous! He is PUBLISHED! He didn't put it on his blog.. so I'm helping him out.

9 comments:

Jared said...

thanks noz, if you are witching, don't forget the dry ice brew.

Shawna said...

I like the little Bo Peep idea. I don't know how to pull it off. Maybe wear a girly dress, curl your hair, and make a staff of some sort. Maybe you can make the staff out of wire hangers and brown duct tape. For your trunk... a small house, like a bird house or one made out of cardboard for a school and all the lambs you can find.

Unknown said...

Hey Melanie!
Sorry I don't have many ideas, I'm not terribly creative. But I wanted to let you know that I'm making my blog private today and I realized I don't have your email. So email me at graygang@gmail.com & I will add you to my list. Or you could choose not to, and then you won't be invited into my private secret life. Happy Halloween!

Emily Nice said...

I think something slightly more scary then little bo peep would be more fun, so I think you should go outerspace. or something. you can still use blinky lights, your hat, dry ice, etc. You can be collecting specimins from earth to take back to your home planet so you can use whatever you have around your house and put funny labels on it. ok, its late and my blog comments are getting longer and sillier!

exuadma!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Jared congratulations on the publication, I tried to read it but I got lost in the abstract. My middle name is not smart, it is stalker.

Emily I loved your ideas. Can't go wrong with UFO's.

I am in denial about the trunk or treat. So I am impressed that you are putting so much planninginto it. See ya friday.

Montana at the Helm said...

I am one of the least creative people I know. I am always stealing other peoples ideas because I can't come up with my own. Sorry I am no help.

Eliza said...

I tonk that you sould give your seep a road map (because you've lost them). Is that the right nursery rhyme?

Unknown said...

I don't even know what I'm going to be for halloween!!! :(

Bethanie said...

You should watch Wallace and Gromit. they have a short with sheep. For an idea with little Bo Peep or with your sheep, you can have a hair cutting, yarn making thing gone wrong! Something scary for the Sheep!! Maybe they are being made into dog food rather then their wool being made into yarn! Idea from Wallace and Gromit.