Back many moons ago I helped design the extension and reconstruction up of a tunnel on the original Railroad line up in Reno. I'm not sure if it was called the V&T rail line then, but that's what it's called now. I then designed the Substructure (abutment, pier, footings) for the railroad passing over the freeway below Reno. That was quite the adventure with high abutments and not much right-of-way (property owned by the railroad for building on). The reason I was only doing the substructure is because NDOT had donated 2 spans of a steel railroad bridge replaced a couple years ago. Actually.. I think I have some pictures for those who might be interested.
There are actually 2 tunnels, but I'm not sure which pictures belong to each.
A roof
This is them working on it. The construction company sent us these pictures because of a question about the welded pins attaching the concrete to the metal roof.Did you see the guy standing on top of the roof directing the pump? Gives you some idea of the scale.
For those of u who care, the beams sitting on the deck will be used to put the thing back together. You can see where they go on the far left of the picture.
OK.. I won't bore u anymore with random information. I'm an engineer! I think its way interesting.PS. Ken (the Transportation Lead) told me to remember to bring a jacket (he's told me 3 times now. I think he's more excited to ride on the train than I am!). Us hot weather people have hard times with coldness. While Jared and Amy were here, I was shivering under my blankets in the morning while they woke up sweating.
PPS... Forgot to mention that it's October 15th.... still 2 weeks away

4 comments:
Nobody left a comment... I guess I'll have to leave my own.
How exciting to go to Reno! Have u ever been there before? Will you get to see some sights? I'm terribly jealous.
Hey now just give me some time to make and clean up dinner so I can read blogs.
So...
How exciting to go to Reno! Have u ever been there before? Will you get to see some sights? I'm terribly jealous.
No, but really how cool is it that you are a part of something like that. You're like, almost famous. Hope you have fun in the Biggest Little City!
wow, cool beans. and i am jealous. cant wait to hear all about it.
and shawna you are too funny.
I think these are cool pictures. Wish I had been there.
BYBTHZ!HA
Post a Comment