I actually never heard the count down!! I just heard the horn.

I felt so much better in the water even though it was COLD. There was the normal fighting for position at the beginning, but once I got clear, I sighted and just did my own race. (this time I didn't swing way out or get caught on the buoy.. progress baby!) I also drank almost 2 whole water bottles on the bike so my tummy didn't hurt until towards the end of the run.. a

nd I ran at least half the time while I was on the run! Let me tell you.. major MAJOR progress. You might not believe I'm progressing from my
time (look under Division Short_Athena_39_and_Under), but my swim and run were faster than Kokapelli. I was 20-25 minutes slower this time because of the bike ride. We road UPHILL from Lake Mead to Boulder City. That was some climb! My goal was to stay over 10mph... but then my goal dropped to 5mph. Then I was just happy I never got off and walked!

OK.. now the 2 fun stories. While I was out on my bike.. just tootling along I hear someone calling my name.. huh? There is Emily by the side of the road cheering! YA! She did it twice and it shore made me smile. The second time I almost fell off my bike. I looked at her instead of where I was going and went off the road into the gravel. I was kinda worried she was filming at that time... but nope.. PHEW! Truth be told, it was the second time I had done it. That's why coordination isn't my middle name. :-)

She also cheered for me every times she passed me in the car... she is my BEST FAN EVER.

Second funny story. As we were driving along almost to Boulder City, I realized I forgot my bike shoes. OH NO! Emily was very stressed for me, but when I told her they were just my keds (those canvas cheapy things), she offered me her sneakers, but I was afraid they wouldn't fit well into my fake clips. We looked around for a Walmart... called Bethanie for her to look on-line... looked in Albertsons (Walgreens wasn't open at 6:00 in the morning!). Melissa called to see where I was and she suggested just using my running shoes. Duh. They were big, but Emily loosened my fake clips and I could get them in. Its a good thing I only had to do that once! I ended up with a blister, but it didn't hurt.

Here comes Melissa! We watched her come in. They started the Olympic distance after the Sprint so I was actually done before she even transitioned to her bike! Poor Melissa was done in!

The happy Triathletes! (I picked this picture of us cuz I look even more dumb in the other one)
Another triathlon down. On to the next! Emily and I talked about why this one was better than the others and we decided it was 1. Sleeping in my own bed. 2. Less anxiety (I had already done one) 3. Water Water Water. No rebelling tummy!
Oh yes.. thank you Melissa for letting us come try out ur Hot tub Saturday night. I had taken a nap that afternoon and was so stiff and sore. Now u know... don't lay down for a nap after doing a triathlon. (Probably shouldn't after a marathon either... just FYI)
7 comments:
Wow! You amaze me. Great job!!!
Few! Now I can go on with my life after readying your blog. I'm glad that you had a good experience. let me tell you about the one time I was running in a triathlon. Oh wait! I haven't run in a triathlon!! I guess I'm not a cool as you.
ps. if I lived close I would have come and watched too. Does that make Emily the favorite now:(?!!
she wins the nicest sister award though. Hands up!!
Melanie you ROCK! Great job. I am so proud of you and even though you are sore, you looked good doing it! I had fun with you, even though I mostly read the whole time (my favorite type of vacation btw), so hope you had fun too!
hssxque
You are so awesome! I love the first picture, you look like you are looking to the future. I'm so glad the buoys did hold you back this time.
I think it is far better to be smart than coordinated. So no worries.
High five and many gold stars on your forehead for finishing another one.
Can I touch you and your awesomeness?
Thanks for cheering me on. You should feel special, because I finally figured out how to leave a comment and you are the first!
Yeah you finished!!!! I'm so happy for you and I heard you felt much better. Em also showed me the bike ride and man you really had a hard longggggg bike ride. Congragts I'm so happy for you. Oh yeah I'm glad you smiled in your pictures you looked so happy.
Post a Comment