Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Testing jitters

I was asked to write a little about my testing jitters. On October 24th I will be taking an 8hr test so I can become a Professional Engineer (PE). I get a stamp (yes, an actual stamp with my name on it and sealed by the State of Nevada, but I have to get my own stamp pad :-)) and will be registered with Nevada as a licensed Civil Engineer. This means I can authorize any civil or structural plans and calculations in Nevada. In passing this exam, I can also apply for reciprocity in the surrounding states including Utah and Arizona. (California does their own thing because of the high potential of structures experiencing an earthquake. If I applied and passed the test there I would have reciprocity throughout almost the whole west... But who cares about earthquakes anyways?)

Unfortunately I am not experiencing testing jitters. True, my career depends on the this test and if I fail to pass:

1. I will feel incredibly dumb,
2. I will be out 300$ (company will reimburse if I pass),
3. The inevitable raise will have to be put off for another year,
4. And I won't be able to blame anyone but myself.

However, I have always had a high opinion of myself because I am a good test taker so I feel confident. This presents a problem cuz I don't get to studying like I should. It's like the pride cycle. The Lord blesses me by helping me be a good tester. I get prideful and think it's all me and so I don't study... then I fail. Then I decide that was the exception that proves the rule and I will certainly do better next time because I'm so wonderful! Hello, look at my parents! (shameless flattery) and so it goes... perhaps its more of a prideful slippery slope than a cycle.

Maybe this time it won't happen that way and I will be blessed in my wickedness.

OK.. so I've taken a class, tried to participate in a study group (NOT HELPFUL!!), gathered lots of material, suckered material off of Melissa who bought the books, and cracked open some practice questions once or twice for an hr or so. But that really isn't going to cut it.

I have many wonderful friends who help perpetuate the cycle. "You'll do great!" "Your so smart!". "Yup," I reply, "smart is my middle name".

8 comments:

Eliza said...

I wish that my middle name was smart! You are so cool.

Bethanie said...

I'm sure that when crunch time comes (say that fast, crunch time comes) you will start to put in the time. Like the day before...the night before. Just try to spend as much time before then studing what you can. How is this for a motivator? I will not come and visit unless you pass the test. I don't want to hang out with a not PE. Ok so it's not very good, because I'm coming out to visit you no matter what! Then again maybe I'm not!?!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Well smart is your middle name, so what can you do. You still have two weeks so I am sure you can kick it in and study. no worries.

Jamie Pearson said...

Are you going to put smart on your stamp???? I wonder if they will still let you sign things MSH if its not on your stamp...Maybe you should get your name legally changed. you know you can do that. You'll do great on your test.

WARNERS said...

I miss you - and "I'm sure you'll do great!" I'm currently scheming to find a triathlon in SD for everyone to participate in.

Montana at the Helm said...

Here's a cheer for you...

Melanie! Melanie! she's the best,
I just know she'll pass the test!

Chelsea said...

Maybe someday I'll do a triathalon. I'd need a better bike, and I'd need to start running and swimming. But actually doing the biking wouldn't be too hard.
Maybe someday I'll be as cool as you are. :)

Emily Nice said...

ok so I left a comment and then it didn't show up. GRRR. I said something about maybe trying to motivate yourself through competition because you'll feel silly if you just barely pass. This is why I'm not a motivational speaker!!!

nhejfgyj!